ITIL exam in two weeks of study?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Juelz, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Now I know its like asking how long a piece of string is as there are various factors that come into play. But on average do you think this is doable? I have roughly two weeks off from work and I want to strike while the irons hot. Lets say I did 2-3hrs of study over the next 10 days and estimate total study time of 20hrs (just to be on the safe side) do you think its doable for a novice? Keep in mind I have a HND in Business Studies so theres alot of stuff I remember from seven years of studying business studies. My resources are the Axeos official book and an approved 7hr interactive course on Udemy.. lets also guess I'm of average intelligence.
    Only reason I'm eager to get this done is due to expecting my gfs waters to break at any moment so would like this before I'm doomed to not sleeping for a year (again).

Guesstimates?

2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi Juelz,

The foundation exam is mostly about memory recall as it tests your knowledge over the whole ITIL spectrum over a multiple choice test. I.e. it's not about how you apply your knowledge to a given scenario - e.g. diagnosing and fixing a broken router in the CCNA exam.

I would ensure you understand all the ITL processes in depth for the 5 areas and have a read of this blog post from Pluralsight: The top 7 common ITIL foundation exam mistakes as it has some good advice. The blog also points you to two official sample papers for the exam and so worth giving those a go before entering the real exam.

Down to the question you've asked: The ITIL foundation training course (provided by QA and others) is around 20 hrs and depending on how good your memory/ understanding of the topics are you may need top that with additional study. So could you do it with the 20hrs of study you've suggest above, quite possibly - it's within the realms of reality. But as you suggest "how long is a piece of string" as some people may be able to do it with 10 hrs some with 40hrs.

Juelz likes this.
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I did an online course provided by my ex company, 6 hours of watching videos, then a one day global knowledge session with the exam and passed no problem.

Apparently I was supposed to do a lot more with the online course, but that wasn't made clear to me, but didn't seem to be an issue.

That said I have worked in an ITIL environment for quite some time so a lot of the Incident, Change and Problem management stuff etc was quite simple for me. I think you could do it in 2 weeks though as long as you can retain the info alright. As already mentioned it's mostly about memory.

One thing I do remember from my course, the answer in the foundation exam will NEVER be Demand Management, so if you see that as an option, you can ignore it! lol.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
    Juelz likes this.
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Juelz,

Yes you can push it out in that time, for the most part the ITIL Foundation course was run over a couple of days, 10 days at 2 - 3 hours a day should be adequate. It's all about common sense rather than specifics.

All the best :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks people I booked the exam for two weeks as I just need to go through the life cycle itself now really.. so I should be ok! was abit pricey this exam!