it training courses

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bowbow, Mar 14, 2008.

1. bowbow

bowbow New Member

hello everyone :) can anyone tell me about computer courses i can take whilst i still carry on working

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Are you already employed in the IT sector?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Whereabouts are you based and what courses are you looking for?

There are a number of training colleges which offer evening courses, however several of them have not-great reputations; other alternatives would be to check your local college, or to buy some books and self-study (and saving yourself a few hundred/thousand pounds in the process).

Generally there isn't any huge distinction in what you learn between training colleges and self-study; what matters is the certification at the end, or how well you know your stuff - and in both cases, that's up to you :dry

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

If your looking to break into IT then look at compTIA A+ for starters, you could do this at a local college if they offer it or go with a company that will cost you a lot of money or you could self study which is the best route to take because you can take your time and it will be very much cheaper than the first two options.

I was going to go with a training company to do the A+ they were going to charge me £750 for the A+, I decided to self study for it and I got two books and an old PC to mess about with for £80 the only other cost I will have now is paying for the two exams which are £110 each.

So thats £300 versus £750 I'll let you make up your own mind which is more logical.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. crofty

crofty New Member

Thanks greenbrucelee that sounds really good advise i think this is the option i've decided to go with. I had a call back from the guy that came to see me about training courses last night. He wanted me to sign up for a full package of courses that were going to cost me £5800 when i told him tonight that i didn't want to pay that much all of a sudden he came up with a shorter course for £2750 now why if this was the case didn't he mention it last night cheeky sod. :cussing

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would have told him to ***** off, were the courses he offered you something like A+ N+ MCDST then MCSA, MSCE? if so you have had a luck escape nobody without real world experience should be doing the MCSA or MCSE having those two certs and no experience can harm your job prospects.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. crofty

crofty New Member

Yep thats what was on offer he made it sound so easy to get into although he did admit that i'd probably only be able to apply for jobs after about 7 months or when i'd completed A+. What gets me is i've got a sales background and was really strong in saying last night that i wanted to think about it and do some research, i'm not sure some would be so tough and would probably have signed up thinking the street's were pathed with gold.
    This sort of thing should be goverment regulated.