IT success down to time?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by superkarimo, Sep 6, 2005.

1. superkarimo

superkarimo Bit Poster

After reading through lots of different messages on lots of different forums I have come to the conclusion that success in pursuing IT work is mainly down to time. Anything which decreases or eats into your available time to study and improve yourself or gain experience will cause problems. I read somewhere , possibly on this board somewhere , that most people employed in IT are single and with few other commitments/responsibilities ; they have the time to do well. I also read about giving uop your social life is the norm. Anyone out there pursuing this field that are married with kids? I just feel I may not have the time to pursue it

Certifications: City & Guilds diplomas in C,C++ and VB
    WIP: ???
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

IT is not about giving up your social life at all! I'd like to think that I have a very active social life away from a PC.

What you seem to be worried about is that you will not have time to study if you have a life, totally not true!

It is like any professional career, you have to put time into it, you can't just go to work, do your job, go home and forget about it. You have to be constantly developing your skills.

Look at other professions for example, a teacher doesn't finish work when the kids go home, they have to prepare for the next day, do marking etc.

A career in IT demands that you work hard, but doesn't have to rule your life!

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

man who told you that?
    lol
    it all depends on what sort of person YOU are,
    if you can manage studying with two kids in the background and a nagging wife, top man! i know a few who can, and i know many who have the support of a family who will give them that space when needed

I also know a few like you describe, who needed every waking minute, and thier careers and abilities slipped when they spent time doing other such things

your ability and capacity to learn is what will define that, if you can learn quickly, adapt fast to changing environments and technology, then you dont need to dedicate the same ammount of time others do, to keep up with the game
    you might do, to pass an MCSE, but an MCSE is on a level of complexity close to a degree, and its to be expected that it requires time and dedication

however keeping up with the tech itself, is somewhat easier for the right person

for the record
    I'm a Divemaster and dive very regularly, I travel abroad 4+ times a year to various places, eat out with friends a few times a week, am a keen photographer and play far too many video games when i should be studying, in all its quite a social life, but getting to the point that I could manage all that and still keep up with technology wasnt as social a path :)

that is to say, if your just starting out, it may well be a challange to remain social during your initial studies
    but as stated above, that depends on you as a person, and your capacity and ability to learn/understand

some people are natural techs :)
    even if they didn't know it, take Trip for instance :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I should also have added that developing your skills may not be as demanding as you think. OK, so you are wanting to get certified, this will require time and effort as with any type of learning.
    But once you have that cert you can be developing skills in easier ways than you think, reading the latest article in PC Pro could help you, reading and researching some of the posts on this website will help you too.

Don't let the fear of having to work get you down, if you have kids, spend an hour or so each evening working after they go to bed. If it's quiet at work, get those books out!

What ever you do, don't give up! You WILL achieve! 8)