IT Service Request Software

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by jvanassen, Oct 5, 2012.

1. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Hi

Among the people on this forum who work on there IT departments service desk i was just wondering what software your using for people to log calls with your department and manage the problem, allocate time to it etc. We currently use RT: Request Tracker - Best Practical and are possibly looking at changing to something a bit better with more funky features.

What do you use within your department and what are some nice functions onit?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I have used Spiceworks and SomeHelp in the past.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Most of the companies I have worked with/for have all been big companies with fairly large central call logging tools. Mostly Remedy, which is ok, I also used to use HP Opneview, which had some nice built in features such as a CMDB etc, not sure if that was straight out of the box though or addons and so forth.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have used in the past Mangeengine, Remedy and ServiceNow

Certifications: A few.
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

We use VQSM which to be honest is rubbish, runs off an SQL database which always hangs and dies, also loses records after spending a fair few minutes updating (which isn't great).

I have also used Support Works Hornbill which I found to be a very nice interface.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Loved that helpdesk/servicedesk software, however I couldn't justify the cost of it at the place I am now.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

We moved from RT to ServiceNow, have used Remedy and Heat in the past as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Taire2011

Taire2011 Bit Poster

We currently using HP openview, but looking to replace it with ServiceNow in a few months time

10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive used a couple of helpdesk software in my time, Peregrine, CA Unicenter, Servicedesk, and Bugzilla.

Bugzilla is emant to be mainly for recording bugs, but works fine as a helpdesk software as well. We actually have a PHP frontend webpage that users can self log issues, and goes straight into the bugzilla database.

and its FREE:)

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290