IT job sector to hard to get into?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I did more research etc and I found that jobs in IT support seem very few.. im abit worried as even entry positions (as rare as they are) are asking for degrees! Im very tempted to switch too web development and programing..as it is also an interest of mine.
    Funny thing is months ago when I was first deciding the area of IT I wanted to go into I couldn't find no web dev/programing jobs, suddenly they are coming out left right and centre.
    Do you think web dev/programing is easier to get into? I really need a career I dont want to go to college to only find I've wasted time and money. I need away out of minimum wage! I don't want a career I hate either and IT is all I want to do as so many aspects of IT is interesting.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Why don't you try writing some programs if you want to be a programmer? It might give you some idea of what the job entails.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It goes round in waves, when I was starting out there were no programming/software engineer jobs about, only support. Then it changed, the job papers were all showing programming jobs and no support. Now in my area, it's the wave where there aren't any jobs being advertised (that's not to say that there aren't any, just further than I want to travel)...

Anyway, not sure about web dev (I believe that you need to build your portfolio). However with programming/software engineering jobs it seems that they want degrees more than support related jobs.

It may just be your grammer, but you don't want a career in IT? You do know that IT is not a quick fix and that a lot of IT jobs will be minimum wage (or just over) under you get the experience and possibly a few qualifications under your belt (however there are exceptions to the rule).

Ok, you don't want to go to college? It's not everyone's "cup of Tea", but want are you doing now to help you get your foot in the door? Are you self-studying? Are you volunteering? Are you networking with people? Are you actually applying for other jobs? etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

First things first, IMO there is strictly no "IT Job Sector". IT is a skill which can be employed in many different sectors.

Don't go in to what you find "easier to get in to". Just don't. Go in to the element of IT you find enjoyable, and wait for the right opportunity. Do not rush this. You will end up with a skillset you don't want, and have to start from the bottom rung again elsewhere when you discover you're utterly miserable. So, you've asked about MS and support, and now you're talking about web dev and programming. They're all very different things; web dev and programming alone are often poles apart.

So, what do you actually want to do Juelz?

Moreover, what sites are you looking at? Degrees would be asked for in a lot of programming roles, I get that. I don't recall *ever* seeing a company genuinely want a tech to have a degree, unless there's some underlying duality to the role.

And job sector? Pick wisely what you want to go in to; it varies wildly from area to area. Education doesn't pay as well (AFAIK) but it is rewarding and you get to play with a lot of the latest tech. The Legal and Finance sectors pay well but the dedication and OT is horrendous. Do you want to work in-house? Do you want to work for a re-seller?

Ask yourself what you actually want to do before you go bulleting around all the job sites panicking just because on one certain day you aren't seeing the jobs you want. There are people on this board that waited literally years before finding the right IT role. Patience goes a long way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Sorry friend, English isnt my first language.
    Basically I enjoy web development as Im learning it in my spare time for fun. IT support is something I have seemed to be good at over the years. . Many people have said I should do it as a job... I find it more interesting than enjoyable, but thats life I know few who think their job is fun.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013