IT Job market

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by guildhall, Jun 16, 2010.

1. guildhall

guildhall Bit Poster

This is my view: I'm out of work for a while now. Finding job hunting quite tuff really. Too many people applying for just one vacancy in London even if pay is low.

I thought they say that the IT sector is picking up this year and that it was the sector least hit by the credit crunch?

Is it just the London area that jobs are easy to find but hard to get?

It's still tuff times out there, when will the industry fully recover?

Perhaps somebody else who is finding job hunt depressing could share the experience in this topic, or vent out your frustration here. :(

2. scott-jordy

scott-jordy Bit Poster

Hi

Yes I agree its gets you down I moved away from being a heating engineer as a career due to a hand injury back in nov 2008 and have been studying and passing exams ever since in I.T and also for the last 8 months have been a volunteer in computer support for council but still cant make that break into I.T. Back when i started in 2008 there were loads of jobs for the qualifications I have but now you need experience more often than not its a catch 22 as my 10 years of repairing pc's dont count for much as work experience.

It looks like its the same over the country but you just got to keep going at it Im sure a break will happen soon and you can get that first chance. At the moment im starting to reconsider this as a career myself due to the length of time ive been at it and looking at jobs out of the scope of I.T ie: retail , arcade technician , factory but my disabilty prevents me from doing a lot more now and im quite used to the excuses I get for why I didnt get a job but everytime I just take a look on the forums and these guys seem to flash the light at the other end of the tunnel and keep me trying.

Good luck and dont stop you will get there in the end as there are good examples on this forum of people that have been struggling too and are now doing great in this career sometimes you just got to keep pushing back im sure someone will be along in a minute to motivate you better than I can regards :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
    Certifications: Ecdl A+ Mcp 271
    WIP: Network + Mcdst Then ????
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Its tough anywhere at the moment

Did they? who was that? New IT jobs are only created by new businesses or expanding ones.
    Many reports i have read say that generally IT is starting to pick up, however, the UK is lagging compared to the US

Hard to say, however, i personally believe it will be years. I think the IT market will pick-up during but the types of jobs will be different. However, saying that i see loads of jobs advertised not so many entry level

Keep trying , but just get any job to pay bills in the meantime.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. supernova

I have also noticed that companies are spending more time vetting candidates,
    i dont know if anyone else has noticed this? .... i had to go through loads at my last round of interviews

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I were interviewing candidates at the moment, I would. A company doesn't want to make a mistake by hiring the wrong person, particularly when there are good, qualified people to be had... such as those who might have lost their position due to a company going under. Unfortunately, there are also a lot of unqualified people out there... such as those who might have been the "bottom 10%" and let go, or who are looking to jump out of another career field into an advanced IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Well i am coming up to a full 1 year out of work with nothing on the horizon, salaries have dropped 20 - 30% and it's not looking good for the future. One job last week there was 143 applications for 2nd line support paying £18500 city centre Manchester and you needed MCSE 2 years experience.....

Time to get out of IT i think, salaries are poor and too much hassle.

BB

Certifications: Life Experiance count?
    WIP: MCSA MCSDT MCSE CCNA
  7. supernova

Mate i think you have been out of work for so long you have become deluded.

Jobs like that have always been around i seen them for less money. 143 applicants is nothing, honestly, we were getting more than that for jobs adversed at my last place before any recession. This shouldn't put you off I would imagine over half of them wont be suitable applicants.

I was made redundant and finding it difficult to get back into IT I have been working in a Pub doing odd jobs (with voluntary work) on top of a disability most for most of this year... there are tones of jobs out there, yeah they may not be IT, but there is no excuse to be unemployed unless you have a serous disability or illness. I am still applying for IT jobs and started to get interviews again after a period of nothing.

A jobs a job at the moment

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  8. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Wow Captain presumptuous at the helm..

I'm 38 years of age, educated 10+ years experience in my field I've applied for job's at Tesco Asda B&Q the like, fail everytime with the usual no experience no skills specific to the role over experienced over qualified someone better was employed, we changed the employment specifics etc.

I have an 21 month old son child care will cost us £800 pcm take that into consideration when you are applying for a job paying under 20k then you will see another problem, work for 40+ hours and come out with 40p per hour after living commuting expenses..

BB

9. supernova

I do apologise i thought you were another one of these "I cant get a job in IT so i will sign on until i do" people.
    Its those people that make me feel sick and angry, which is why i probably jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Sorry

to be honest Tesco, Asda, B&Q are the hardest places to get jobs at the moment.

A charity for the unemployed and disadvantaged that i help out at send all there clients there first to try on the off chance. The last chap who got a job at tescos was applying for 18 jobs a week and luckily got in at the right time.

If your getting interviews then your doing something right and are almost there.

One problem is that if you have a over 12 month void some HR people will start to blank your applications at least that is what i have been told by some recruitment companies..

10. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

that presumptious attitude is what is making this place less and less appealing to visit.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  11. supernova

fine sorry .... i will leave

... admin please remove *all* my posts and account

12. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

I have found it depressing to look for job lately. I think that looking for job online on job boards is waste of time - I didn't mean completely waste of time but nearly!
    Best thing is to network and talk to people what you are looking for and keep in touch with contacts and their contacts and so on. Online jobhunt is what you do in free time.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What did I miss?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. danielno8

is that 32 or 12?

15. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Absolutely. My work took me around a lot of the new Tesco Express stores - the little convenience store ones - earlier this year and late last year.
    I'd be on site for a few days about 2 weeks before the shop even opened - still builders restructuring the site, people laying wires, assembling counters and aisle shelves - everyone in hard hats and high vis. And every day, guaranteed you'd get 2-5 people climbing into site (dodging site security and ignoring the hazard signs) to try and ask about jobs.

Of course at that stage there aren't even any Tesco's people on site - it's all contractors - so they'd just get pointed to the website.

I guess at times like this, jobs anyone can try for are gonna be the most competitive.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  16. supernova

Why on earth are you complaining?... i am offering a solution to your problem.

Seems a bit silly unless you want me to come back at you.

17. BDB2008

BDB2008 Bit Poster

Supernova,

No problem with the apology probably best to look at the brighter side of people rather the darkerside in the future.. :)

BB

18. danielno8

Well it wasn't a genuine request, so i took it as some sort of come back to me.

All i wanted to do was point out that that sort of attitude was making this place less appealing.

19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't like it, leave. Nobody's holding you hostage here.

I didn't find Supernova's post to be presumptuous at all.

• Second line jobs paying around £18K asking for an MCSE and 2 years experience have indeed been around forever.
    • 143 applicants IS nothing - in fact, I got more applicants than that 3 years ago (in a much better economy) when interviewing for my replacement as a senior-level network admin. I can only imagine how many applicants there are for second line positions!
    • IT jobs *are* out there. But, like just about every other field, competition is fierce due to the current unemployment situation.
    • Any job *is* better than nothing. I'd give this advice whether he was looking at other jobs or not.

Sorry, I don't see where SN's post was all that horrible. He tried to help BDB out with what he believes - and I believe - to be helpful advice.

BDB - to be honest, if I were Tesco, I'd say you're way overqualified for the job as well... that's why McDonalds doesn't hire people with Masters degrees to be fry cooks. They know you'll find something better and leave.

I'd recommend you keep at it, whether in or out of IT. I understand that you're in a bit of a funk right now - I would be too if I were in your shoes. But eventually, you will find the job that is right for you.

I would take every opportunity to get your CV reviewed and to have your interview skills appraised by people who don't mind giving you blunt, honest, helpful advice. Your mindset has a lot to do with how you interview. If you're down on yourself, that's gonna come through in an interview. On the other hand, if you have a positive attitude, that will shine through as well.

I wish you the best of luck going forward!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  20. supernova

I don't want to dwell on what was said , yes my comment regarding leaving was childish reflecting on back on it. enough said.

My point was really any work is better than no work and i will always stand by that.

I would imagine having 12 months plus of unemployment is the worst thing possible to show a potential employer.

On a personal front. I actually think what i have done will improve my employability, i believe it is because of this that i am now getting interviews for good IT jobs and will be better off in the long run.

All you can really say is keep on trying ... there is nothing else you really can say in these times.

These places McDonalds, Tescos, B and Q do realise that people are desperate at the moment and they do take people that are well overqualified (however, yes they rather has people that will say) however, these places are getting 1000's (i kid you not) spec letters a month let alone any applications for available jobs.

I actually know someone with a masters in physics that has a bin man job at the moment ... its all mad

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010