IT job interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by loca1hero, Sep 16, 2010.

1. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Hi
    I've got an interview for Support Analyst role tomorrow (through an agency) - just thought I'll share this here and perhaps get some help to prepare for the interview so any tips are more then welcome. I would say this will be my 1st proper IT job interview. Ok the jobs description goes somewhat on the lines of

"looking for part time workers to support the busy Service Desk Team, good customer service and communication skills, with some technical ability and with a good understanding of PC operating and call logging"

My question is on my CV - under qualifications they should know that I'm N+ and MCDST, just wondering would the q's be more about my recent certs or about the job in general! I know this sounds a little .. :oops:
    what are your views after reading the couple of lines of job spec !!
    :unsure

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

You might have to do a questionaire to test your knowledge of computers, networks etc. I sure they will ask technical questions as well. So be prepared to know your stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll answer your question with a question: are they hiring someone to be certified, or are they hiring someone to do a job? Your answer will likely shed a lot of light on what they're likely to ask you. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Ya that helps thanks BM, sorry if I was being odd, but just wanted to be prepared and I suppose I will focus more on the job spec.

5. BosonMichael

No problem at all. Sometimes it's hard to know what to expect in unfamiliar situations. All you needed was a little perspective to give you some clarity. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Yeah thanks, the interview went well there only 1 person on the panel n she was quite relaxed and the usual "give me some e.g's what you did on A particular situation" she then told about the role a bit more in detail and asked some Q's overall a good experience. I was told they would let the agency know n I should be told by the end of this week.

7. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I would not get your hopes up as it looked like they interviewing other people this week. Competition is tough and they look all the factors. May leaving the best candidate still last to interview.

8. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Perhaps your right as she told me last week that she is going 2 interview few more candidates, I just hope to get it . . fingers X'd

9. BosonMichael

No sense in getting your hopes unrealistically high, but there's also no sense in having a defeatist attitude, either. Employers will almost always interview ALL of the candidates in the "best batch" before making a decision. And I've waited months for an employer to finish all their interviews before they finally decided on me.

Chin up. If it's meant to be, it will be. :)

10. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

You said it BM, had a call from the agency this morning and .............. well they've offered me the job.:D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  11. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

You said it BM, had a call from the agency this morning and .............. well they've offered me the job.:)
    It surprised me though as I didn't expect a call this soon but it all happened for the good I guess.
    Want to say a big thanks to you and everyone that participated and been a part of my topic(s) and discussions here and part of certforums. I joined last November hoping to land a job in IT and now after a few certs under my name n few months later finally got it sure it took some time but at least now I am or should say will soon be on the IT ladder.:alc

12. BosonMichael

That's what I'm talkin' about! Major congrats! :thumbleft

13. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  14. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

this was a great post to read as I'm sure many of us can relate.

I'm maybe 6 months behind you, joined forums middle of this year, have done A+ and going to sit Network + on monday. Then i will be straight into MCDST and i will be looking for a helpdesk 1st line support type job to get me started on the IT ladder. Reading how you've done only serves to keep me motivated, and shows how good it is to be part of the certforums with everyones support and advice is really helpful.

HUGE CONGRATS mate!

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the job, mate :D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  16. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I am surprised, you got lucky as seem there were very few applicant for the job as I think as it was only part time role the reason for so few applicants. Congratulations though.

17. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Thanks a lot guys :thumbleft

18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job dude! major congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA