It is time that we unionise

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by The One Free Man, Nov 5, 2007.

1. The One Free Man

The One Free Man New Member

Hi People,

We are all the same here, we have the skills the knowledge and the experience. The problem, employers, they have far too much power over the IT technicians and professionals. We slog for ages getting our qualifications and are we guaranteed a job? maybe, we are all weak as individuals, we need to be more coherent. We have the skills to market our union. I want to know people who have been involved in the trade union movement. If you have that experience I want to talk to you about setting up the 1st IT technicians and Professionals Union in the UK's History.

We need to protect the thousands of workers in the UK who are at the mercy of ruthless companies willing to exploit our skills who only decide to outsource later. We need to fight for fair pay for those who are within the industry. Furthermore, We need to force employers to look at the UK talent before they go abroad. Also we need to have the resources where we have better recruitment, by people who are actually in the industry as opposed these so called "recriutment agencies".

We need to eliminate the main problem in the IT industry "qualifications no experience", we need to force companies to take on worker who have this issue.

As part of a union, we can enforce the correct industry standards therefore, we tell business what qualifcations would be suitable for the IT jobs they need.

too long has the balance been in favour of the employer, its time we fought for the employee.

Therefore I am appealing for people with knowledge of trade unions, legal knowledge, I want web designers, people with knowledge about advertising. I need your support to make this the largest IT technician and Professional Union in the UK.

We need a voice.

At the moment I have a meeting with Jon Cruddas MP, to discuss the implications of setting up a Trade Union but I am confident of getting governmental support on your behalf. Furthermore we hopefully will be getting subsidies from the TUC to help promote ourselves.

So if you want to make a difference, I mean a real difference. Contact me

Thanks

Bobby R Miah

Certifications: BSc (Hons.)
    WIP: A+ Certifcation
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You're not the same Bobby R Miah who keeps petitioning the Government over environmental issues, are you?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I work in the printing industry where we have a union.

Whilst unions in principal are a good idea, they end up with people i.e union reps who are corrupt and only in it for themselves.

We have just gone through a restructuring process at work, i.e redundancies.

The printers on the press with their union reps came up with an agreement with the management that if none of them got made redundant they (the printers) would work in other areas such as on the reel stands and the mail room.

After 3 months one shift in particular (the one with the heads union rep on it) are complaining that the other work is beneath them and the union rep is kicking up a stink and is now saying other department should be doing this multi tasking positions and not them and that the reel hands that stayed to train the printers up should do more work and they are all in the union.

This is why I am not in the union as the people who are close to the union reps get stuck up for and the others are not bothered about unless they don't pay their dues.

I can't see a union for IT workers actually working although a good idea that IT pros are protected there would always be some sort of corruption going on.

Just my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

forgot about that :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

A union telling a business what's what???

I'd rather you'd drop this crap! All you'll succeed in doing is encouraging employers to employ cut price Polish labour at minimum wage!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hahahhahhahahahhaha!!!! :biggrin

Oh man, I have rarely seen such horrible misinformation and advice in my entire life. That is one of the worst IT-related ideas I have ever heard. :rolleyes:

Bobby, are you actually working in the IT industry? If you truly are, I find it very hard to believe that you would actually believe the ideas you are espousing. (EDIT: I found the answer - you haven't yet started in IT: link)

If you want to protect your jobs, make yourselves indispensable. Work for fair wages rather than fleecing companies for every penny. Be worth more than you are paid. It's *really* quite simple.

If you need experience to get a job, start at the bottom and build experience as you work your way up. Certification CANNOT replace experience. There is no way to test the things that you learn in day-to-day, real-world administration. Therefore, if you want a good IT job... do like everyone else does, and EARN it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would also recommend getting the IT Profession sorted out first, imo there are too many cowboys (see here under Negative Associations). And they give IT Pro's a bad name.

Like simongrahamuk posted, check out the BCS.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Bobby. This is *not* a venue for people to air their political views or gripes, so you're treading on thin ice so far. I strongly suspect your only motivation in joining this forum is to drum up support for your cause. If that's the case, you might find your member account here at CertForums banned if you keep this up.

We are a forum of professionals and students in technology who freely contribute to a variety of discussions here, sometimes posting our own queries and often helping out our fellow members. We dont' post here just to try and drum up business or to otherwise serve our own individual crusades. Please keep that in mind before creating your next message.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. The One Free Man

The One Free Man New Member

Hey guys,

Johnny MX you know my work then, I am touched :)(yup you can google me lol). Yeah I had a idea, to work together, yeah it sounded good. However I did not enter this forum to put a political standpoint up also, I am doing the A+ certification and I use this site for your info.

Yeah you are right this place is for training and learning about the science we call computing. So I will distance myself for the soapbox, I will refrain from it.

I don't really have a gripe, I just see problems looking for a solution, but like everthing in IT, everyone has a point of view. furthermore I don't want to prove Godwin's Law right on here.

Let be friends, get together and chillout dudes.

I promise no more soap boxing and more work and revision.

Thanks for making me realising that

BRM the one free man

Certifications: BSc (Hons.)
    WIP: A+ Certifcation
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

:eek: I don't know where to start

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Unions talk the talk but often times don't walk the walk when rubber meets the road:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Whilst the unions may have served a purpose in the past I think we've moved beyond them. We now have have employment laws in place to protect us should we feel it necessary to take action against an employer.
    My employer is a real nasty piece of work. He expects me to get up and slave away for pennies. Some day I'm going to get my own back on him by erasing his hard drive ...

I'm a freelance contractor :eek:

16. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

The Problem with IT is the amount of guys out there with bucket loads of knowledge and experience with no qualifications. Thats pretty much why the experience asked for in some jobs is so high

17. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Yep, because experience shows that you know how to apply that knowledge to real world situations. 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Yes, however at the same time, there are lots of people with IT experience but do shoddy work. Hence my last post, it's professionalism that we need (as well as experience and certification - to back up the experience).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  19. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

I agree completely Ken, the problem is sorting one type from the other.

20. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

I totally agree.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270