IT courses in london ? joskos? london college?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dougvip, Feb 1, 2008.

1. dougvip

dougvip New Member

hello guys. . i m new here. i m looking 4 a IT course in london . Network+ . which tranning course u guys recomend? i think i m going 2 study at www.london-college.com . wot u think ? thank all of u

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Does it *have* to be a college/training company? You could save a whole lot of money by just buying some books and doing self-study!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with Harry.

Welcome to CF! 8)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self study.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Same here, why give a company your hard earned cash when you can do it yourself?

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Does anyone else suspect that Doug is spamming us? :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. BosonMichael

He certainly could be a drive-by spammer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

You may be right guys... but a loads of replies saying 'Save your money' won't do him much good, if he is... :biggrin

9. dougvip

dougvip New Member

hey tripwire. dont mind u think dat. i'd think it as well. but not, i am not spamming, i sign up with joskos few days ago before i come 2 dis forum, as i was afraid 2 put £6000 in a company dat i didnt know, i came here n i saw some bad posts bout them, i decided 2 cancel my course. now i m looking 4 another computer training course. i went 2 c london college. they looked fine . A+, MS Office, Network+, Cisco CCNA, MCSE Certification and Exchange Server 4 £4400 for 2yrs n 3yr in Middlesex University if i choose degree SO WOT DO U THINK GUYS? i dont know as i dont have any experiences in college in london ,(anyone know anyother computer training in london ???? any bad thing bout london college ?any experiences ? )
    i hate spams. had already a bad experience with dis mfks> i m just here 2 SHARING MY EXPERINCE n look 4 a gud computer course or as u guys tells selfstudy, if i go 2 self study HOW 2 STUDY ? WHICH IS THE BEST BOOK? WHERE 2 FIND THEM ? I GOT A+ OF SELFSTUDY BUT I FIND SELF STUDY A BIT HARD 2 LEARN. thank u guys .

10. dougvip

dougvip New Member

thank u xplosi . so can u help me . ? i m looking 4 learn network, which books can u recommend me . how 2 start ?
    thanks lots .
    douglas.

11. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Doug,

have a look at Amazon and check out the review of the best-rated books, they'll give you an insight into what each book is like and how it's paced, it's also worth going to one of the larger bookshops to check out the books in person for you to check them out before committing to the cost. It's that potato-patato situation - although Mike Myers seems to be the benchmark, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. Hope this helps!

Chantal

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Doug,

Sorry to sound a little harsh here, please stop posting as if you are texting one of your friends on a mobile phone.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. BosonMichael

Without real-world IT experience, the CCNA and MCSE certifications won't do you much good... and Exchange Server, by itself, isn't a certification (nor will it do you much good without Exchange Server experience).

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO the two best books for Network+ are the Mike Meyers and the David Groth.

To get a little experience with networking I'd suggest getting an older PC and a cheap cable router. Messing with those will firm up the TCP/IP parts of Network+.

Total cost would be about £200 - depending on the cost of the PC.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

What part of the UK are you in?
    As others have said either self study or go through a local college & pay 80% less!
    I know that Kingston College where offering Network+ over a term & a half for £250 + exam fee.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  16. dougvip

dougvip New Member

thank all of you guys.

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually Doug, I gave you the benefit of the doubt by allowing this thread to continue rather than automatically assuming that your posting of the link to this particular institution was an attempt at spamming. Sometimes, that's how spammers work, pretending to be a member asking a legitimate question. I don't want to unfairly judge anyone, which is why I allowed this thread to continue.

I agree with what has already been said in that it's completely unnecessary for you to write in "text-speak". If you'll notice all of the responses to you in this thread, you'll see that people are keyboarding in standard English. We'd appreciate it if you'd do the same. It makes what you are saying to us quite a bit more readable.

Sorry that you find self-study is not going to work for you. Actually, that's probably a wise assessment on your part. I originally tried self-study for the A+ many years ago but I had absolutely no technical background and it all seemed like gibberish to me. I signed up for a two-year program at my local uni here in the US and got my basic foundation in hardware, software, and networking. At this point and with that foundation in place, I'm able to teach myself from books and other resources, but I needed that initial classroom educational experience to become grounded in the necessary concepts.

Good luck with your pursuits. :)

-Trip

18. dougvip

dougvip New Member

thank u tripwire, you've got exactly my point . i learned A+ cos I really like it . n always I being fixing my computer n the others. Or otherwise I never would learn it. It is reli hard 2 u learn when u don’t have any background in something. N soz I didn’t mean to spam anyone. But as I don’t have any experience in colleges in uk London . I was looking 4 advise(some one who studied there, any comments or even other proper IT training ) with that college which I want to start my course. Just 2 make sure that organization is a proper one to me put my money . Thank u tripwire n all of u 4 the help . :D

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There is no need for courses as has been said, you get the books for N+ get the N+ book by Groth and N+ book by Mike Myeres.

You could get a couple of computers from a junk shop or recycling center then network them together so you can have your own lab.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Doug, I think you need to work on your "non-textspeak" skills. If you'll review this thread, you'll find that at least one other member besides me suggested that you not use textspeak when posting to the forums. Here's a little "mapping" I made based on your most recent post:

u = you
    i = I
    cos = because
    n = and
    reli = really
    2 = to/too (depending on the context)
    soz = so (how does this conserve keystrokes?)
    4 =for

Also, try capitalizing the first letter of the first word in a sentence. When referring to yourself, "I" is always capitalized. Oh, and call me "Trip". :wink:

Other than that, your posts are getting better. I think I have a better idea of your intent now and I hope some of the other members can advise you. Many of the people here go the "self-study" route though, so the responses you're looking for may be few and far between.