IT contract - breaking

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by disarm, May 2, 2008.

1. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Scenario:

Started 3-month IT contract.

Project hits delays, so left waiting around for an update on when I'm next required.

In the meantime, I receive a call asking me if I'm available for an interview for another contract.

Or what if I'm offered another position and decide to take it - can I just cancel the contract?

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Just how long have you worked on this contract, and how long will the delays be? Those are the first things I'd consider. If the delay is open-ended then I'd approach the organization I'm currently contracted to and ask to be let out of contract because I need to be working, not sitting on my butt. I think most places will understand that.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Started yesterday, due back Tuesday but has been delayed to at least Wednesday, maybe later - will get an update on Tuesday as to when/if etc.

It's kind of a bit rubbish being stuck in limbo...

4. ffreeloader

Oh. The way you talked in your opening post I thought you'd been sitting for a couple of weeks, not a day or two at the very beginning of a project. I'd say in this case the employer isn't going to be very understanding, and that you're not showing much patience yourself.

5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I'm thinking more cash flow....

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hang on, are they paying you to be on hold? Surely they should be. If they have hired you to start on a certain day, and its their end thats holding things up, you should still be getting paid for it.

If not, stuff them. If they arent paying you, they havent hired you. If you want to be nice, you can talk to them and tell them that you need money coming in, and if they are holding things up, you still need to be getting paid.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. ffreeloader

That all depends on how willing you are to burn bridges. I know if I was an employer and someone came to me in the situation that has been described here I would probably let them go, but I'd never consider using them again either. If they came to me after a couple of weeks and said, how long is this going to on that I need to work I'd understand. After a day or two, I wouldn't.

8. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

If they ain't paying you then you have no obligation to wait around. Would they lose money waiting you?

Companies these days really do take the ...

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I tend to agree with Freddy. If a few days, that's OK... but if you're asking me to wait weeks... then we've got a problem.

Have you called and talked to someone about your concerns? Sometimes a little bit of two-way conversation can work wonders.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

Well I'm expecting an update on Tuesday and kind of hoping the issues have been resolved by then, so I'll be back on-site asap. They're only going to pay me for the time I'm working there. I don't mind waiting a few days but can't last forever with no cash, and I was just weighing up my options that's all. It is a genuine issue, not caused by ourselves (the contractors) or the agency but by the IT dept of the company we're doing the work for.

11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

This is a no brainer really! If you get offered another position elsewhere then you walk! Easy as!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

At the very least, I'd be calling the Project Manager or Project Owner or your direct report for an update regularly. Also to find out what they are expecting of you during these delays.