IT Career - Still no luck

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by RewardingPie, Dec 2, 2012.

1. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Hi again guys,

A while ago I posted this:

After all you'r excellent advice I STILL haven't landed my self a role in IT :(:oops:

Could it be my certifications letting me down? I know they are the real basic ones to have and since I can't get a job I can't afford to do any more. It feels like I've been hitting my head against a wall for the past year and it has started to have an effect on my life and confidence. I apply for jobs routinely on all major job websites, what would you say is the best agencies to sign up with? I haven't explored that route as much. I'm not expecting miracles but some friendly advice and a different view point on things would be excellent!

Thanks,
    Harry

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Job market is tough at the moment, you may need 400+ applications to land a role.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Harry, Dave is right. It is tough for people with lots of certs and experience. There is still a requirement however for new IT workers, but as the entry requirements are lower than a more senior role, competition is fierce. Keep studying and keep applying and you will succeed. You are doing everything right don't worry. In the mean time why not apply for office admin roles also to help fund your studies. I got my first IT job by taking an office job first. It was an internal vacancy that wasnt advertised externally. This happens a lot so you could get into IT in the same way I did. Chin up mate, James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    ade1982 likes this.
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

What sort of roles have you been applying too? Service desk/help desk roles are the most common starting roles I would say, apply for lots of them and if you get interviews etc then IMO it's very important to make a point of both your tech skills but also your soft skills! You will be dealing with customers a lot so make a point of any customer service skills too etc, this will give a more balanced look to your application and I think give you the best chance. Keep going though, you will find something I'm sure! Good luck!

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. RewardingPie

RewardingPie New Member

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I guess it's just one of those thing's you got to persist with if you want to get any where. I will also consider applying for some admin roles to add a bit of office environment/customer service experience to the CV! I will update this thread if I have any breaks!

All the best

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: MCTS