IT Career Advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by snitchdnb21, Feb 26, 2013.

1. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Hi!

I'm looking to get into a entry level role such as help-desk whilst I study Computing and IT degree with the OU, Currently in my 1st year and study full time whilst working part time in a manual labour job.

Basically I'm asking how to make my CV IT 'related' and tailored to a entry level position, I know only I can do this but need advice as my CV is very generic. (Maybe wrong section, sorry)

My previous experience : Music Technician (Managing projects to Running sessions), Customer services roles, Sales..

Is it possible to go from completely different sector to IT with no experience in IT?

I'm looking to reduce my study time with the OU to part time in the second year, work full time and study A+ whilst volunteering.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Rotage

Rotage Bit Poster

Hi

I think it is possible to change sectors, the customer service work you have done would be relevant to a helpdesk role so would be helpful. For me when we are hiring 1st line on the helpdesk the main thing I look for is someone with initiative with not too much experience as I feel someone with too much experience would get bored and move on quickly from the role

So for your CV I'd ensure your other roles on the CV so there are no big gaps there, put on the IT qualifications you have so far, if you don't have any then I would consider saying you are studying for your A+ and IT degree

My only concern is that you have stated various different roles so far, I don't know the time frames for these or why you changed but it may appear that you change roles frequently which could put off prospective employers

Good luck with search for the role

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
  3. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Thank you for the advice, for the time frames

Music Tech 2010 : Redundancy
    Customer service work vary from 2009 to temporary work in 2012 : Job changes because of money and interest died.

I had no real direction of career, i studied music at college and played in bands and was just accepting jobs which paid okay.

So I'm not sure on listing what jobs although there is not many gaps. :(

Hope this helps, thank you.

4. Rotage

Rotage Bit Poster

No that is fine, I guess the issue would be if there was a big gap of no obvious work or studying activity say 6 months or longer, I know I was once asked why I had a gap of 3 months on my cv before.

The changing of jobs for those reasons is fine, as long as it is not a constant change of jobs as you dislike the jobs as this could put off potential employers

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA 2008
  5. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

The only very quick job change i had was within 3 days as a telesales position. It was dreadful but I don't list it on my CV.

Thank you aswell for replying to me.

So in a summary I really need to focus on my customer service experience and Training in my CV?

Thank you for your help.

Edit: as of current have been trying to update and make CV better.

Just on some opinions should my personal profile be more training/uni based?

"Client focused and detail oriented individual seeking a professional role as a Help-desk assistant or 1st level IT support position to expand learning capabilities and grow personal and professional development within a company. With over 2 years’ experience in customer service and sales to 6 months experience in managing and organizing projects, increasing revenue and attraction. I can adapt quickly, provide excellent customer service and use my experience and initiative to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve problems professionally and efficiently."

Be honest if you think its utter crap, may be in wrong section so I apologize in advance

Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  6. ITSpartan

ITSpartan New Member

Lots of "ands", sounds a bit too "cliche and robotic" Make it more natural. "I am a client focused...." not 1st level, First Line! Reword it.

As for gaps, Mate they rather have you doing voluntary work in a charity shop than doing absolutely nothing, After Uni i was unemployed for 7 months so I had to do Voluntary work at my previous place that actually made me redundant. Better than having a huge gap on my CV!

Then I was gaining valuable skills such as customer service, stock taking and using the shop computer. Better than nothing I guess. In the end I got my job now in a charity mainly because i worked in Charity before and also was IT focused answering a question related to ITIL in the interview!

Post interview I sent the agency worker my recommendation of why i wanted to work for that company. She was asked who she would recommend and she recommended me. Also people turned up for that interview in shiny suits and slick hair, but couldnt answer interview questions properly. My interview was meant to be 30 mins it lasted an hour! I gave full answers for every question.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  7. snitchdnb21

snitchdnb21 Bit Poster

Awesome advice mate, thank you.

I am currently volunteering as an I.T Administrator, well was until they 'promoted' me to a so called 'Head Of I.T' position which I advise and pass instructions to a small group of 5-6 IT techs, currently designing and coding an application for MS Access database for the company (Non-profit) and I also volunteer as an I.T Assistant at the school I work.

Unsure how to list this "Head Of I.T" position though, I don't want to appear like I am something that I am not and my duties do not reach the extent of what that position would be realistically.