IT apprenticeships in Birmingham (16-18 years old)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Timostag, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

I've recently just started an apprenticeship in Birmingham (UK).

They are also looking to recuit upto 40 more apprentices, the only problem is you must be between the ages of 16-18 (although I'm 22 and managed to talk my way into it).

The company is called GOT IT COVERED LTD based in town just off Hurst Street, the position will be part time for 2 days a week or 2 1/2 if you need english/maths GCSE's. The pay is only £45 p/w which may sound absolutly crap but the way i look at it is I now have IT support experience to put on CV aswell as qualifications I will earn, so after 6 months I could be looking at a job paying £16k. The company will also provide you with a bus pass.

They will be holding open days on wednesdays.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Birmingham-United-Kingdom/Got-It-Covered-Ltd/133245060054434
    (website is under construction, one of my first jobs)

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

How did you manage that? The reason its 16-18 is because its 100% funded by the government it called an apprenticeship scheme.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here.

Supernova is right on the funding aspects, however on the odd occasion extra funding is released for the over 18's depending on area (eg Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, etc) and industry (eg IT, Management, etc).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

Sounds like a great opportunity to me - all the best with it!

5. supernova

The problem is with many of those areas is the LSC etc have over spent and there no money left in the pot. Also the government over 25 apprenticeship scheme scheme hasn't been fully i rolled out.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  6. supernova

Unfortunately the government wants to use the unemployed for cheap labour. They cut funding in the public sector putting people out of jobs then expect the unemployed to do some of those jobs underpaid, that is for their benefits.

I work in the charity sector from my experience most unemployed people in my area offer to volunteer anyway and would rather have a job than claim.

Sorry little rant.:oops:

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Funding doesn't always come from the LSC, sometimes it comes from the European Social Fund, the over 25 apprenticeships are available but no funding... :(

Agreed, while volunteering is a good thing, paid work is alot better.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Good on you for getting it and I wished when I started it was through an apprenticeship as my self taught training was very fragmented in the early part of my career as I didn't know what to learn and what not to learn. Still playing catch up on certain areas after 7 years in the industry.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Its a new start up company, the two directors are the only people within the company that are fully trained with years of experience. They were working for a large training company in Birmingham (GB training), but wanted to set this company up (in association with GBT who I think own a large stake in the new company), so with the companies background in training they chose to build the company up with apprentices.

I am part of the first wave (about 25 of us working the first 1/2 of the week) when I applied they were advertisng as 16-18, as people have said they revieve alot more £££ for training that age, but I researched them on the internet for a while and discovered a couple of old job ads they had put out saying that they were looking for 18-24 year olds so I went down to the open day and did my best to impress them. I am the oldest there but there are a couple of guys who are 19.

I think they intend to be stricter with this group towards age as they now have a a couple of people such as myself with a fair few years of working experience (they do lean towards me to offer help and advise to people with little/no working experience)

But what I'm saying is just because they say they are looking for 16-18, dont let that stop you going for it, you might just get lucky as I did and whats the worst that could happen...they say no, you havnt lost anything by applying.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  10. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

I guess I'm good at selling myself :biggrin I went there expecting to have to say that I would work for free. I have a foundation degree in IT technology, so as the training is suppost to take 6 months hopefully they saw something in me they thought could be useful as the business grows.

???
    Where did un-employment come from? I am a night-club manager by night and now an it support engineer by day, and as I say they were advertising for 16-18 who to my knowledge cannot claim job seekers ect.

sorry if I sound big headed, arrogant and un-appreachiative of the advise opinions, I truely do appreachiate it....2 hours sleep followed by 9-5 at 1 job followed by 7-2.30am at the other, tires me out and leads to my own rants :oops:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. supernova

The only reason i asked is because government funding is not really negotiable

steady on that wasn't a reply to you! i was having a general rant on the side about how less funding is going to be available to those that need it.

12. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

Sorry as I say I REALLY appreachiate your advice,

I'm told the company will break even on the 16-18 Y/O's and will make a loss on me, but I have managed to gain a couple of contracts for the business (1 providing POS for the bar I manage and the other providing network support for one of the regulars company) not exactly multi-million deals but its only week 2, and im trying to convince the director at the bar that the till programme isn't up to sratch and I just happen to know an excellent company that could just help :D

13. suicide

suicide Bit Poster

@ timostag

they have more places open for people to apply. i need morw info about this company. i sent you a PM.

What qualifications do i get?

how do you know so much about this company?

what kind of work do you do?