is windows firewall used much in business

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by acepal, Mar 20, 2006.

1. acepal

acepal Bit Poster

anyone know if the windows firewall is used much in office settings or do business type deployment prefer to purchase an add on one

Certifications: A+,NETWORK+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would say that a lot of businesses use it in conjunction with a proper hardware firewall or a business software solution like ISA.

You need to stop the bad guys at the door, so businesses should make sure their Internet gateways are properly firewalled and XP's built in one is not sufficient on it's own.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i've actually never come across a company that used the xp firewall. all of them disabled it by default. they all relied on the hardware firewall for all internal machines, and on third party software firewall for external machines (sales managers laptops and such).

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Yep, at work we use RSA SecurID hardware firewall (not one, one per building, and we have like 8 building in this area), and then sophos software firewall... :twisted: <- he will never get in!

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We disble it using Group Policy. We have a Watchguard firewall but are looking to change this over fairly soon to ISA 2004 (as soon as I find the time to configure the thing from scratch).

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I have it disabled via GP when people are on the internal LAN but if they connect to say the internet when using a laptop at home it picks up a different ip therefore the firewall will be activated again

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

We have a basic hardware firewall built into our ADSL router, but our main protection is with ISA 2004, we also use windows firewalls on all our desktops. (Maybe I'm too paranoid)

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I guess the only guy who uses it is the one who wrote the 270 exam...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. acepal

acepal Bit Poster

lol.i was wondering if that was the case

Certifications: A+,NETWORK+
    WIP: 70-270