Is this the right starting point

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Law, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Law

Law New Member

Hi,

First post. I'm currently working in a learning center doing computer learning support. I support people with software and hardware problems every day. The only reason I ever contact the IT support department is if a problem needs admin access.

I want to change jobs and move towards IT support. Is the MCDST the right starting point?

Basically I want something that will get my foot into the door working as IT support.

Thanks,

Law

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What is your job title? sounds to me like you already do support

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Law

Law New Member

Thanks for the quick reply,

My job title is "learning resources assistant", its education support (just so happens that most of the students are studying Microsoft office on the PC or doing adobe creative suite based courses on the macs).

4. danielno8

The IT support guys, are they in the same building, or are they based out of a central office? If they are close you could try sounding them out about a junior role. If they don't really have one to offer you, maybe even try to get IT support added secondary to your primary role. That way you can start building up some more experience.

5. Law

Law New Member

Yeah, I have contacted them but their department is full up and since it's local a government run college they aren't likely to let me do a little job swap. My friend suggested I apply for some 1st line support jobs and see how it goes.

So I should just start applying with the experience I have already and forget the MCDST/any other qualification? The problem is I'm not sure how many jobs would take my experience as relevant as troubleshooting/repairing tech problems isn't exactly part of the job spec, it's just a lot easier than calling IT every ten minutes.

The main reason for changing jobs is because of the career development patch, in learning support its limited and pretty much a dead end.

6. danielno8

Sorry, i wasn't suggesting you not to do the certs, they'll definately help in the search for your first job. Was just thinking of some other ways to get yourself some experience. If you are doing support though, even if it isn't part of your job role, don't be afraid to mention it on your CV. I would however attempt to have your bosses stick it down as part of your job role. That way, if a position did open up, you'll be well placed to apply. and at the same time you can be looking for somewhere elsewhere to get started.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The MCDST is a good cert to get. I'd also recommend A+ (typically THE starting point) and Network+.

That said, there's no need to wait until you're certified to start looking... start looking now!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!