Is this Secuity+ training package any good?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Eggbert, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Secur...bs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208761200&sr=8-3

I am planning on starting security+ after I finish network+ and will buy the book now - I always have a horrible experience with amazon, so I figure it will arrive by the time I am ready. (hopfully)

Anyway anyone know if this one is any good?

Cheers.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: Diablo II
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I've got the Sybex Sec+ Study Guide, which forms part of the box set you link to, and found it to be a good book to learn the basics. Knowledge gained from doing the Net+ will be useful too.

The Sybex box sets - I have the Net+ one - are generally good.

Do you actually have expereince in the security arena?

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...because if you don't, you should. Security+ won't do you much good until you've been in IT for a while and have experience helping to secure a network.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Cheers, nah I haven't had much experience securing networks.

5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm not a big one on certs, but this cert is such a basic cert that you can't help but at least learn some security principles from it that will help you place your network+ knowledge within a basic security framework. It definitely won't teach you enough to secure a network.

This cert is a mile wide and an inch deep. It will teach you about enough to know that specific security concepts exist, but that's about all. As such it's probably most useful to someone just starting out as it will help make them security-conscious from the start. It's not going to do much more than that for anyone, but being security-conscious is a good first step into IT.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. Eggbert

Eggbert Bit Poster

Thanks for the advise. I think I will still go for the cert just to give me a basic understanding. :)