Is this score enough?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Logicum, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Logicum

Logicum Bit Poster

Sorry if you get lots of these kinds of questions (I know it will sound silly)- but if I am scoring in the high 70s for Transcender 70-271 tests am I ready to take the actual test? I sat this morning and took 55 minutes (with interruptions) to finish the test and got 78%. Some of the questions I got wrong (11 out of 49) I know I should have gotten right.

Anyway, what do you people think? Am I ready or should I wait some more. I have been studying for this exam using the official MS course book for around two weeks.

Thanks!

WIP: Many
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As someone who writes practice exams for a living, I will say this: it depends. If you're getting 78% on an exam filled with all new, previously unseen questions, then you're likely ready. But if you are taking exams over and over and over and getting 78%, then you might NOT be ready. A practice exam can accurately gauge your ability to pass the real exam ONLY the first time you take a bank of practice exam questions. After you've seen those questions before, even once, you will have subconsciously memorized them, so your score will artificially increase just because you've seen those questions again. Thus, taking exams over and over will not give you an accurate simulation of what will happen on the live exam... after all, the live exam questions are going to be different from what you've seen on the practice exams, right? :) Same concepts... but different questions. Understanding the concepts is the important thing.

Best way to approach practice exams:
    1) Study... including reading books AND getting hands-on experience with the software/hardware.
    2) Take ExamA. Read through ALL of the explanations... even for the ones you answered correctly. Know why the right answer is right and why the wrong answers are wrong. More importantly, understand those concepts.
    3) Go back to the books and gear and study the sections and concepts where you were weak, focusing on the concepts you answered incorrectly.
    4) Take ExamB. Again, read through ALL of the explanations.
    5) Again, go back and study the things that need work.
    6) Do NOT take the last unique exam (often ExamC) until you think you are truly ready to pass the live exam... because this is the last unique bank of exam questions you'll have from this practice exam provider.
    7) After you've taken ExamC, the only things you can do are to study and to take random exams over and over to reinforce what you've already learned. But remember to not take too much comfort in high scores with questions you've already seen. If you think you need more unique practice exam questions, buy one from another trusted practice exam provider.

Best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Great advice Michael - that's almost exctly how I did my Network+ :biggrin I studied a lot - found as many practice questions on the net as I could even though some of them were getting on a bit and it all helped.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As you already know, ya gotta beware of some of those, unless they're demos from legit companies. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have found the proprof practice exams quite good (better than the transcender ones I have), they are written by our own Brother Bill. The A+ ones have a few 2003 objective questions in but its good to be able to answer those aswell as the newer objectives.

I would say high 70s may be pushing it, if you are getting mid-high 80s then you are just about ready.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I recently did this exam and used transcender - from memory I got around 78-93% from the 3 exams over about 2 weeks, I then took the exam and got 960ish - but that was just me, I also felt ready to do the exam and I think that is half the battle.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293