Is this good or bad?

Discussion in 'Project+' started by Rob1234, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I took the Project+ beta back in February and got the results that I had passed. I am not a project manager but have worked on projects before and I did not study for the exam.

I know its an entry level exam and there are more difficult project management certifications, but is it good for a cert that someone with little real world experience and no studying can sit and pass the exam?

Certifications: A few.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

dunno, took beta myself 10+ years ago, never really told anyone about it.

I would expect experience is most important for pm role.

Maybe they would like to see Prince2, SCRUM, PMP, doubt Proj+ counts.

Worth being a certified PIMP for da biatches :cool:

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Interesting perspective Rob. I can see what you are saying. When I look at you taking this exam, is it fair to say that anyone could pass it, I don't think so. You have worked in IT for years I think, so will have picked up a ton along the way and despite not being a PM, working for a PM on a project, gives you a really good idea about what they get up to, arranging resources in the right order, running the calls and looking at the spend. I'd take it as a compliment that you know so much now, you could turn your hand to several roles. I think most would probably fail that exam with no study and without your experience mate. That or you're just really really smart ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I'll take it that I am just really smart :ahhaha: but I do wonder if that adds to the reason some people don't rate certifications. I'll be honest nearly everyone I ever see say negative things about certs either have none, or they have old certs that are no longer relevant or they themselves are not relevant in the industry and it always seems like sore grapes, but if anyone can get a cert maybe it does devalue them.

Comptia state 12 months experience is recommend so it is aimed at entry level so maybe it is not a bad thing.

Certifications: A few.
    JK2447 likes this.
  5. JK2447

Exactly mate, what's wrong with someone learning a set path for a technology then testing how much of it they have retained by taking an exam, which then gets them something that says the vendor of said exam agree that the person is more than proficient in said technology.

Loads of industries need these things, electricians, medics, welders. It just proves you've put the hours in doesn't it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

It would if there wasn't rampant cheating in the industry and the tests had any bearing on real world ability...

7. JK2447

Sadly the cheating is quite sickening isn’t it. It devalues the hard work that we all do to pass these certifications. I agree that someone being certified isn’t a guarantee of their quality for that reason. I would say though that someone who is talented with experience can help to make themselves stand out from similar talented people. On my team we pass these to confirm to ourselves that we’ve still got it ha ha. I don’t know about you but I often get to the stage where I don’t know what I know. I have to go into a situation and speak to people for it to come out

Jaron78 likes this.
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its an entry level cert and you have some project experience so nothing unusual for you to pass.

I wouldn’t listen too much to the guys saying negative things about certs – everyone finds their own way in their career and if they think certs are not for them that’s fair enough.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
    Jaron78 and JK2447 like this.