Is this a good idea? (sorry if this has been asked before)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Darkblue, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Darkblue

Darkblue New Member

Hi, I am 18 years old with about a year's experience in managing a relational database for my dad's company using only excel and manually doing everything (not a good idea...). I am currently looking to educate myself enough so that in about 1-2 years I can get a job in the IT field that would ideally pay enough to support an apartment so that I will not have to live on dorms when I transfer to Georgia Tech (looking to be an Electrical Engineering major if that helps at all). I have done much research and have concluded that Microsoft Certification is quite possibly my best shot at getting qualified for a job Administering, Designing, or Implementing a relational database. The certification I have looked at is the MCP or MCTS in Microsoft SQL Server 2008. I've already begun to study, and have grasped a basic understanding of what SQL code is, and how it is written. (I had done HTML code before so this seemed to be an easy switch for me) I am not looking for a life-long career as my heart and soul is set on engineering, but rather a job that is good enough to help support me through my college years. So with all of that said, here are my questions:

Is it even possible to become an MCP or MCTS in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 in a year's time?

Is it better to go for an MCP or an MCTS in MS SQL, or are they the same thing?

Would this certification allow me to be qualified for a job Administering/designing/implementing a relational database?

Is there a better course of action to become qualified for an IT job in a year's time?

(This is perhaps not the best place to ask this question but...) Is an IT job even the right way to go for a freshman in college looking to support themselves?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my situation, and thank you even more to those who will respond.

-- Darkblue

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'd look at college/university If I were you.

Welcome to CF:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Darkblue

Darkblue New Member

Sorry if I didn't clarify this too well in the first post, but I am already currently in college. At a community college looking to transfer to Georgia Tech when I'm done here to then go for an Electrical Engineering degree. The reason I am looking for an IT job is to support me in obtaining said EE degree, because once I transfer to Georgia Tech, I am going to need a decent paying job so that I can afford an apartment and other various necessities. So basically, going to college to help me go to college isn't exactly a plausible idea...

And thank you for the reply, as well as the warm welcome. These forums have many useful posts in them.

4. greenbrucelee

you could look at an IT support job working in a call centre to help you pay for your studies etc.

Not sure if there would be any places looking at hiring someone to do DBA stuff unless it was full time.

You could look at getting the A+ certification whilst working in a call centre and see how things pan out.

5. scottm

scottm Bit Poster

well trying to get a job in the IT industry just to support you're learning / career for enginnering isnt a good idea. getting certified within a year is possible providing you put the work in. but getting a well paid job with no experince on any off the following: Administering/designing/implementing wont get you any where. i recommend you look at other options to do with you're enginnering instead of wasting time in IT.

Certifications: A+, CENT, MCTS, 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  6. Darkblue

Darkblue New Member

Thank you to the both of you for responding, and I'll begin searching again for another viable option. Hopefully something will turn up. I completely understand the no experience part, and it would be very difficult and near impossible to find a part time DBA job without any experience. And I'll look into the A+ certification.

7. greenbrucelee

picking up a part time support job is viable but the dba one probably isn't although IT is notoriously hard to get into anyway.

8. Darkblue

Darkblue New Member

At this point I'm almost fresh out of ideas. Each idea I've had thus far has had some ridiculously large hole in it, preventing it from being a viable solution. Microsoft Certification seemed perfect at first, but now it's just seeming to dwindle in value.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

P.S. Is there any other Microsoft Certification that would be good for a part time job? (besides the A+ one, already looking at that one now)

9. greenbrucelee

The MCDST!