Is there a way to find out ...

Discussion in 'Networks' started by skysparkles, Jun 23, 2011.

1. skysparkles

skysparkles New Member

... if a wall port is connected at the switch?

I need to set up a new piece of equipment in a room - the wall port is there and numbered so I connected the cable in the patch panel to the switch at that number but there is no connection. I've tested the cables and the equipment and all is well but think the port may be wrongly numbered :-(

So is there a way for me to check from the wall port if it is connected in the patch panel??

Certifications: MCDST, CIW, ECDL, MOS
    WIP: CIW, MCSA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't you just plug a device or cable tester into the port and see if a light comes on at the switch?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Which do you want to check? Whether it is connected to the switch, or connected to the patch panel?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

if you have a modular cable tester you could connect one end to the wall port and go through ports on the patch panel. It would take a while if there's loads of ports. you could also use tone & probe in the same way. you might not have the connection if the cable was badly terminated at the patch panel or the wall socket (or both).