Is there a major difference?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Rostros22, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Hello all

I have recently setup a wireless network at my home. The connection is shared by 3 machines, 2 PC’s and a laptop.

One PC uses a PCI card and the other (mine) uses a USB device.

The connection for the PCI card receives an ‘excellent’ connection and the USB varies between good and fair. The distance is equal from the router so I just wanted to know if a PCI card connection has any major difference as to why it would receive a better connection.

It isn’t a major problem, more of a query and to see if any one had any input or had faced a similar situation.

We don’t use wireless connections at work so it has been a case of just ‘having a go’.

The USB device uses the same 54mbps connection and is USB 2.0 and came included in the router package.

Cheers :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You say the two computers are about the same distance away but not sitting next to each other. Radio waves are affected by a lot of environmental factors. They can be reflected and refracted off a variety of surfaces, mainly metal. It's possible that something is inhibiting the signal to the USB wireless NIC.

Actually, I prefer USB NICs because you can position them better. A PCI wireless NIC is stuck where it is but you can move the USB NIC around to find an area of better reception.

Having said all that, Wireless Technology is still half voodoo and wireless sometimes does stuff that I just can't figure out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Rostros22

Thanks Trip

The machines are in different rooms but the router is positoned roughly in the middle of the two (the hallway).

Now that you mention it the water tank is probably in my path to the router so that may have an effect on the signal! :oops:

As you say wireless is a voodoo!

It doesn't cause a massive loss in connection so I am not worried about it just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on the subject, as I said I haven't had a lot of hands on experience with wireless before.

I would have gone for cabling again but as I moved house I thought I would try wireless instead of running cat 5 all round the house again! :D

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Wireless is the future Rostros, so you were definitely right to go wireless in your home. It will never be as reliable as cable is due to the signal propagation issues already mentioned but it is far neater and with laptops it is a must 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Rostros22

Yeah I live with two mates and the lad who has got the laptop loves showing off!

Guess I will have to invest in a laptop soon!

Hmmmm decorate or laptop??? Not a difficult choice to make is it! :)

I was going to cable but seeing as the laptop user already had wireless enabled I thought it would be pointless cabling the other machines seeing as I was going to purchase a wireless router anyway. Plus it is a good way to introduce myself to wireless as I can mess about with the settings and security methods on the router without harming anyone. If we ever get wireless at work I wouldn't feel comfortable messing with that config!

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

PCI cards usualy have a much better aerial than the USB devices. In fact the USB devices are somewhat notorious for poor aerials!

But many other things can affect the signal - even moving it a foot or so will change things.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Rostros22

I have changed the usb cable from the one that came with it to a 3 metre cable so I can move it around and found what a massive difference that can make as you said Harry.

Guess it is just a case of hit and miss and keep moving it until I find a good spot.

8. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Me too i like sitting in the back garden with a beer on a nice night surfing the web and chatting on msn :biggrin

wireless is great ....when it works :blink

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

for me I will always be wired until they sort out the whole mess with wireless...I mean dont get me wrong its nice having wireless but from the number of people I have dealt with who have wireless connections god its a nightmare sometimes...I prefer the hassle of wires anyday...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

bear in mind the attenuation of a long ariel cable could cause you to lose performance!
    thats why a decent 10 metre pigtail can cost in the region of 100 quid :)

I still use (and always will) use wired cable for my primary ws and server, i get a bit fed up with the time it takes to copy 2gb image files and run vmotion between vmware servers :)

however
    i use 802.11g on my laptops and love it, im upgrading to three access points on my house for full coverage and transparant cell traversal, its great stuff :)

not sure what noelg talks about when he says 'wireless mess'
    perhaps he knows something we dont? ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Rostros22

I use a cable network for my test lab with my spare HP switch, the wireless is basically used for the internet connection.

Considered having an access point installed in the house, is it a major job?

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Great thread Guys - thanks. I'm setting up an almost identical setup at the mo, and will soon be running one box from a USB wirelss NIC, so thanks for the info :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well not really its just I remember when I was working for BT Broadband I asked one my managers which is better wired or wireless...straightaway they said wired cos they had spent over 13 hours trying every possible wireless combination you could think of and no matter what they tried it was not as good as it was with wires...can remember fully what was said but that made me think I will be using wires for as long as it takes until a lot of the issues are solved...you never know in 10yrs time I hope everything will be wireless and maybe by then I will start using it...but for now am happy with wires...:biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  14. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

Which router/nic package did you get? Is it the Netgear package?
    If so, how is it overall?

Just curious because i'm thinking of getting the netgear package myself.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  15. Rostros22

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is the same piece of kit I use at home. The D-Link stuff is pretty good IMHO although all their stuff runs a bit hot for my liking. Make sure you use the plastic feet to mount it on it's side as this allows the most air flow. I have experienced D-Link stuff locking up intermittently if you don't allow enough air flow.

Also, there was an issue I read about with a squeaking high pitched noise coming from some of the G604Ts. A lot of people sent them back only to experience the same issue. Keep an ear out for that, it happens when the ADSL link synchronises.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)