Is the book wrong?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I will keep this as short as I can, I'm studying for the MTA 98-349 and I am using the official MS book. Now on a chapter about group policy this is what the book says:

Group Policy works well in small to large environments whether an organization is located in a single area or has multiple offices spread around a state or several states, for example. It's easiest to manage in mostly "heterogeneous environments", in which many of the client computers use the same hardware and users use much of the same software with the same configurations

I didn't understand the term "heterogeneous environments" so I took to Google which gave me this explanation for the PCmag website:

heterogeneous environment
    . Using hardware and system software from different vendors. Organizations often use computers, operating systems and databases from a variety of vendors.

Now from further research it seems what the book is describing is a homogeneous environment.

I could be wrong so please offer feeback if you can

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't know in what context you are referring to as I do not have that book. However with group policy, the base OS has to be Windows (to my knowledge, if GPO's affect other OS like Apple or Linux then please let me know :) ). However the actual hardware can come from Apple, Dell, IBM, <insert other hardware manufacturers here>. GPO's can also be used to push out setting to different applications (eg Firefox which is not a MS product), push out printers made by various vendors to client and server operating systems, etc...

However if you're talking about AD, then yes, you can have Linux and apple OS authenticate and integrate with it. You can even have wireless systems integrate with it (very similar to IAS authentication).

EDIT: After re-reading this sentence: "It's easiest to manage in mostly "heterogeneous environments", in which many of the client computers use the same hardware and users use much of the same software with the same configurations"

To be honest, it is easiest in that type of environment, as you don't have to play around with WMI filtering or making different GPO's for different hardware and software configuration.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply.. I'm essentially asking isn't their definition of a heterogeneous environment wrong?

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not sure, however it's all in the wording, they state "mostly" :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If it's an official MS Press book, there should be a note in the introduction (usually) referencing an errata page on the web. If there is an error identified in the text, they're always posted up there, so that would be worth a check :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    Juelz likes this.
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes its definitely wrong "heterogeneous environments" are ones with different hardware /software mixes. Homogeneous would be the correct term.

Juelz likes this.
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks I will take a look.

Oh good so I'm not going crazy then.. I was wondering whether I was misreading it, must have read the sentence 100 times.