Is public sector IT a jobs safety net?

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is public sector IT a jobs safety net?

With the economic slowdown affecting industries as diverse as banking and construction, will the public sector prove a recession-proof haven for IT professionals? For some IT workers, the answer is yes – but the public sector is not the land of milk-and-honey it may first appear.

Apart from anything else, the public sector is also feeling the pinch and aiming to cut jobs. “The efficiency agenda has been a high priority for some time,” says Richard Steel, president of Socitm and chief information officer at the London Borough of Newnham.

“We are mandated to make year on year cuts and to work more in partnership, so the public sector workforce has been contracting irrespective of whether or not we are in an economic slowdown.”

However, IT looks to be less affected than other areas because IT is a major player in delivering projects to achieve greater efficiency.

Read the whole article here on page page 43 (Can't find a direct link).

Public sector includes: Schools (Government funded), NHS, Councils, National Government, Police, etc...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Interesting read Ken :thumbleft
    2. onoski
      onoski
      All fields are affected regardless of public or private sector, but with time and a good balance things would level down. Spend wisely and keep working if you're still employed.
    3. piccadilly
      piccadilly
      I believe at the end of the day it is down to the actual company;

In one company, you could be working on a project that has a secure budget, another company who cannot afford their staff. I think this is the same, public, private, or not-for-profit.
    4. dmarsh
      dmarsh
      If the economy shrinks, then government income from taxes shrinks, unless they have large reserves (they don't) they then can only go into debt if they want to maintain spending levels.

The most likely outcome then is a contraction in public spending resulting in services being cut, as many IT projects are not core services like nurses, teachers, doctors, police etc. They are candidates for cuts or shelving.

People who are already in public sector jobs will be lucky to keep them, people who want to use the sector as a 'safe haven' stand little to no chance of breaking in once the **** hits the fan...