IS MS VISTA SECURE

Discussion in 'Software' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 25, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I recently purchase a laptop (Acer Aspire 5633WLMi)with MS Vista Home Premium edition Softloaded

Here's the spec of the Laptop:-

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 GHz Processor
    15.4" WXGA CrystalBrite Widescreen TFT Display
    160GB Hard Drive
    2048MB DDR II RAM
    DVD-RW Super Multi Drive
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 Graphics
    Integrated Wireless WiFi Connectivity
    Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Camera
    6-in-1 Card Reader
    6-Cell Battery

Source

Q) Is MS vista really secure?
    I have installed AVG Internet secuirty version 7 (trial) on it, which comes with firewall, AV, Spyware and Malware.

On my other PC which is XPC Shuttle I have Zone Alarm firwall, Spotbot, adaware and free AVG antivirus. I have constant message pop ups everytime I install a program or log onto the web. :(

I'm looking for a security package that doesn't take over your system (like nortons) but still provides protection.

Q) Is it wise to run 2 firewalls on Vista?

Q) Is MS Windows Defender any good?

Q) Do you have MS vista installed and if so what protection do you have?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As secure as any OS is... until someone finds holes in it. Thus... no OS is 100% secure, and you should never treat an OS as such.

As with any OS, no, unless you're operating with a software firewall and a hardware firewall. It's not wise to run 2 software firewalls on Vista.

Opinions vary, but most say no. And I certainly won't use them after MS changed Claria/Gator/GAIN's malware status from "Quarantine" to "Ignore" in their product, while rumors swirled about MS considering a purchase of Claria. :x

I do, on my lab box that I used to write the book. I believe I have TrendMicro Internet Security 2007 running on it, but I'll have to check to be sure next time I power it up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonMichael

By the way... *this* is what forums are for... advice. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

This is mostly because of ZoneAlarm; each time the message pops up, you have the choice to tick the box for it to 'remember' the application, so it doesn't ask next time. Another set of ZoneAlarm messages are about 'threats' it has monitored - not sure if they are the ones you mean also. If they are, there's a setting for them to be silenced.

In terms of free anti-virus products, you might want to check out Antivir - I find it has less of a performance hit than AVG, but maybe this isn't an issue for you - I don't exactly have bleeding-edge hardware at home....

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What about commodo firewall it doesnt go automatic like most internet security apps.

You have to tell it what to block or not untill it learns its free too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use Vista on all my systems
    I have the Microsoft firewalls enabled, windows defender because its there by default and doesnt cause me any harm yet

nothing else (well apart from my gateway ISA2006 Box and ACL'd Cisco 2800 ISR)

Is vista secure? more so than XP, although it still has its flaws, like all operating systems
    it can get a lot less secure depending on what you install on it and how you configure it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks for your input BM on Internet Security!:biggrin

err not sure what you mean by the above statement as I haven't asked/posted a question on this thread. Unless of course you are referring to another thread??:blink

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks greenbrucelee I'll check it out through Google(now I know what key word to use on a search engine):biggrin

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Ryan, I was a bit concerned about the spyware and keyloggers penertrating Vista. 8)

10. BosonMichael

Yep, another thread - the thread of PFs where you stated that if people didn't post their questions on CF and just went to Google, the site would shut down. I disagree; THIS post is what the forums are for... not for solving other people's problems that are easily searchable on Google. :thumbleft

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I have just seen the thread and posted a reply to your question!

However, I would like to point out there are lots and lots of IT forums on the web where nothing happens for days on end.
    If we did not answer peoples question, would people actually join and support the site with their donation and advice?

Would CF just be a place whereby news of Certs and It is displayed? Would CF lose the warm friendly community it has long been respected for?

If you search most of the newbie section you will see responses from people who are glad for the response to their simple questions.
    8)

12. BosonMichael

No... because the overwhelming majority of questions on here aren't related to "help me fix this IT problem, please". In my opinion, the site would be just about as active as it is now.

EDIT: For example, we'd still have posts like:
    Is my OS secure?
    Does anyone else here use Second Life?
    What's the best TCP/IP book to get?
    Is PERL important?
    Should I do self study or go with a training provider? (though, this COULD be answered by searching any number of posts on here)
    What's a free Web site that you guys would recommend?
    What was your most difficult IT experience?
    ...and many, many more.

See, most these all rely HEAVILY on advice and opinion and viewpoint... and that's certainly what a forum is for. We'll certainly answer technical questions, especially ones that are difficult for even the most seasoned tech... but when the answer could be *easily* had within seconds, it's hard to answer without saying, "Have you even tried looking for the answer?"

13. Feivel

Feivel New Member

Actually the 2007 norton stuff isn't as bad anymore as some previous versions where usage of system resources and so on is concerned. At least that's my experience with NAV 07. JMHO

14. tigga

tigga New Member

Hm, kind of an old thread here but what the heck:
    as for norton stuff actually getting better, I guess I can second that (only for N360 tho).
    Out of curiosity I googled for some reviews of it and actually it seems not to be a subjective impression;).

But anyway, back on topic:oops:.