is it reachable within 6 mnths???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by badguy, Aug 22, 2007.

1. badguy

badguy New Member

hi all,i am a newbie,had read the previous posts for abt 6 hrs
    i am preparing for the tough ride out thr so i want ur opinions
    which could help me to pass the hurdles fast
    im 21 graduating with a bach in netwrk frm a decnt uni in may'08(possibly with 1st class)
    and im halfway thru my ccna and rhce,hope to finish before graduation,
    should i do ccnp as well:blink before start to look for a entry level job in networking ,paying me atleast 16k,

any of ur comments and opininons would be appreciated.

:) :) :)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dont know if you can do all that in that short a time frame, but if you have the dedication the possibly.

Although doing too much could spoil your other studies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think doing too much could also harm your possibility of getting an entry level job - it is possibly to 'price yourself out of the market' so to speak - I don't know if you would expect to find many CCNPs looking for their first networking role.

My advice would be to concetrate on your degree and get your 1st, and possibly the CCNA under your belt as you've got so much of it done.

Then go for your first networking role, and get the CCNP whilst logging up some valuable work experience - which is what employers will be looking for as you start to climb up the ladder.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

To be honest, there aren't too many networking jobs for people without any real-world experience. Most people going into networking have been working in IT for years.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

concerntrate on getting that good degree and CCNA and then add the CCNP in later when you have the experience because what has been previously said is true.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. badguy

badguy New Member

thanks for comments fellas,
    so there is no use of my uni degree:( ,i could have got three years work experience instead of studying fulltime

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's not to say that your degree is worthless... in fact, having a degree can help set yourself apart from other people who have neither experience nor a degree. Unfortunately, when you put someone with a degree up against someone with 3-4 years of real-world experience... the experienced candidate wins.

You can't change the past... but the optimal situation would have been where you worked WHILE you were getting your degree. That way, you'd have been building up your degree and getting experience at the same time. If you can manage to do so now, I'd suggest getting an entry-level IT job so you start building experience now... why wait until May? Getting your foot in the door in IT will likely be the hardest thing you ever do... get that out of the way NOW if at all possible. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Most certifications are temporary and will expire unless renewed. A Uni degree is forever and usually you learn a wider base of information than any one cert will give you.

Also, since you asked for advice, please use capitalization and punctuation when you create a message. I grew up in an era where written communication wasn't stripped down to the bare bones for the sake of speed. Besides, you'll need to use those skills if you decide to go to uni and certainly when you fill out a job application. Thanks.

Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. badguy

badguy New Member

10. badguy

badguy New Member

I should be careful as tripwire said about my written communication,cos it is true that one's attitude becomes their actions.
    This forum is real-good to get into.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally would wait before getting certifications like CCNP because those certs are meant for people who have years of experience. Like people stated above, its hard to get into networking as your first job, usually it requires years of experience and knowledge to be eligable as a candidate. But you are on the right track by going to school and learning the material.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA