is it possible?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, May 30, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Is it possible to pass a+ essentials and a+ hardware exam without actually or being directly involved in an IT role?

I ask this as I am wanting to increase the chances of me finding my first IT job and not a job where IT knowledge and skills are an advantage.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, it is. I did it and many other members here on CF have done it. You can pick up a PC to take apart and see what happens when certain componants are configured incorrectly or left out.

You can use Virtual PC to install another operating system to play about with for the operating system objectives.

Take a look in the A+ forum for lots of useful tips and resources.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

cheers Boyce see I have done mock exams for the hardware and operating systems exams through cram sessions and various other web sites that have them and have typically been scoring 80% for hardware and 75% for the operating systems but I am not sure how up to date or accurate if at all these mock tests are.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Beware of freebie mock tests on the Internet... some of them are the real thing... illegal collections of questions called braindumps that people use to cheat on the exam by knowing what's on the exam beforehand.

To answer your question, yes, it certainly is possible to pass the A+ without any real-world IT experience... it's about as entry-level of a certification as you can get! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!