Is computer security the way to go?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by darrenwis, May 19, 2009.

1. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice to kick start my career.

I have a BSc in Business Information Systems and hold a keen interest in computing. However, due to my local area I have yet to get my first real foot on the computing ladder.

I am considering taking a MSc Computer Systems Security (http://www.glam.ac.uk/coursedetails/685/532)

It looks a very interesting course and studying it over 3 years (p/t) I think it maybe a good choice to study? What do everyone think of this course?

Also I currently work for a Barclays contact centre as there don't seem to be any entry level jobs going here in South Wales.

What I am trying to find out is if I completed the MSc, do you think the I.T. security industry is one that is going to grow and progress? What roles can I go for when I have completed this?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here but hope I can get some answers from you guys,

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I do believe that IT Security is a field that will grow and progress. However I do not believe that by completing the MSc, you'll walk into an IT security post straight away. The majority of IT Security jobs expect you to have x amount of years already in IT systems adminstration, and especially in this climate finding any job is going to be alot harder.

You haven't stated how long you've been trying to get into the IT field. But even with a degree and certs it doesn't guarantee you a job. It took me 5 years to get my foot in and that was way before the resession :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi Darrenwis, I agree with Ken. An MSc will give you no guarantee's and will leave a chasm in your finances. I too want to move into security. I'm lucky in that I already work in IT and its easier to move around once your in the door. Look into the CompTIA Security+ which I'm taking. As Ken said, certs don't mean you'll get a job but at least if you've got a Security related cert you can show you have done some study and who knows, an IT Sec manager might offer you a trainee Security Analyst job.

On another note, Cisco jobs seems to be going from strength to strength so maybe consider looking into a trainee Network Analyst role.

James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Darren, the others have provided good responses to your question so I would only add one or two points.

The Bsc in business IT you currently hold is very good and would be a stepping stone. I would advice you start looking for an entry IT service desk role and also self study to obtain Microsoft's cert MCP on 70-270 and progress from there on.

Experience, experience and some more experience coupled with your certs and qualification would take you a long way in the very demanding and competitive field of IT.

Best wishes and start looking for that IT related role now and don't limit yourself by thinking your location is an obstacle. Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. darrenwis

darrenwis Bit Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

Security+ and Cisco sound interesting paths. Do you believe I should also complete the MCDST aswell? Will it help me get into the security field at all?

Darren

Certifications: BSc (hons)
    WIP: A+
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You'd be best concentrating on one or the either at a time in other not to get side tracked. The security+ cert is more in line with your future career prospects, but ultimately experience gained working in an IT role is the real deal breaker:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell