Is a vendor based Linux cert a good idea?!

Discussion in 'Linux+' started by Jellyman_4eva, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Just a question for you guys to play with.

I was wondering recently what cert to go for and chose Linux+. One of the server guys at work is now studying for the Novell CLP/CLE exams to migrate the Netware environment over to eventually.

Is it a good idea to go for a cert such as Novell's offering, or go for something like the LPI level 2 or 3 or something, it just seems strange going down a route with no choice (Not vendor neutral) with open source software where one of the main keys to it is choice?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Personally I was a bit stumped as to what the Linux+ exam would be like. Due to the nature of Linux all the different builds have their tweaks and differences from distro to distro. I have got Linux+ down to do in the distant future but might change my mind and do a specific Linux Distro exam.

My point is that the Linux+ exam might be difficult as you might say be used to using RedHat Linux and Linux+ might be based on various generic Linux platforms so it might be pretty foreign to you. If you use a specific distro then it might be best to go down that route because on paper it will look better imho.

Maybe someone will be along soon who has done the Linux+ to agree or disagree with my points.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The Linux kernel is the Linux kernel. What makes a distro a distro is all of the packages that go along with it. I can still be in my home directory on the command line, type "ls" (without quotes) and get a list of the contents.

The Linux+ exam seems to focus on the things most distros have in common. Intererstingly, Novell has Linux+ coursework available for their trainers. The Novell Linux certs require knowing as much about Novell products as about SUSE Linux so there's more to it than meets the eye. Also you can't take the Novell Linux certs at any Prometric or VUE exam center. I investigated and discovered that there are only a handful of places in the US I can take it...the closest being Portland, OR which is a good eight hour drive from where I live.

Red Hat is the same way. The exam is given only in a limited number of areas and is almost all hands on, at least the RHCE. It is considered quite challenging and not for the Linux newbie.

The LPI series is considered more sophisticated than the Linux+ but is also vendor neutral. This series focuses on Linux administrators and you *really* have to know a great deal about rather obscure Linux command structures.

I understand the current version of the Linux+ is more complicated than the original version but it is still probably the least demanding.

Bottom line is to just start learning Linux. There are about a billion "let's learn linux" books out there plus a ton of resources on the web. Pick an area, get a Linux box or a live CD and start playing. Have fun. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+