Is a Pass still a Pass?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by no1youknowz, Oct 7, 2007.

1. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

When it comes to passing exams, are employers all that interested in the actual marks?

Or are they just interested that you have the certifications, no matter if you just scraped by?

Today I did A+, N+, Security+ and Server+. All transcender and passed, im getting some other test engines and if I pass those. Then I'll probably do the real exams, however will most likely pass.

Just for clarity, yes I understand the concepts behind the questions.

Now, the question above pertains to... Do I really study and get higher scores on the exam. Or do I just take the exams and move onto my MCSE?

If its really a case that employers really dont care what score you get, then I might just blast through these. Dunno yet. :dry

WIP: Too many to mention
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Not really as long as you pass and you don't cheat to pass. Not everyone is a genius at passing exams, you can ace the coursework leading up to an exam and get nervous and almost bottle it in the exam. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

A pass is a pass, however there is no guarantee that every company will only want to see the pass and the cert. While the companies I've worked for (and myself) are more interested in the pass as well as experience to go with it, it not to say that there aren't companies out there who also want to look at your score sheet.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

As I wrote elsewhere recently - you can view this in 2 ways:
    - do the exam/studying quickly just to get the certificate.
    - do the studying properly and try to get 100% in the exam, even thought it takes longer.

I'm the latter, I'd rather know everything I can to help my job and career, not just enough to pass an exam.

That said, if I feel I'm 100%, and I only scrape a pass, then so be it - maybe the exam, maybe not my day, maybe I was feeling dumb because I was on the drink the night before.... could be any reason - but as long as I study until I'm ready and not studying until a set early date, I'm happy.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

I think from another perspective. Since there is no A, B or C type grades. A pass is just a pass. I've yet to see any job adverts requesting that with an MCSE certification, the applicants just have attained 90% in all the exams.

Has anyone seen or heard something like this?

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I haven't seen the 90% quoted anywhere but I thought as MS haven't confirmed that 1000 points is the maximum score on any MS exam, and that they haven't confirmed that each question holds the same weighting and finally they give a points score not a % score - I would find it very difficult to believe that any companies/persons would ask for such a boundary.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

Thanks. I've been mulling it over today and decided Im just going to "pass" the exams. I've got quite a few I want to do and well I dont want to take forever in doing them. I'll start to schedule these quite soon then. :biggrin

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the exam grade. I would just concentrate on basically know the stuff very well, understand the concepts, so that in the real world it makes sense.

Taking exams in the past I was able to get questions right that I didn't know at all just by using logic and understanding the concept.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Nothing about marks on any certs I've got apart from City Guilds for about 17 Years ago.

Most just say "has achieved the required standard" or "successfully completed the requirements to be reconized as a" blah blah......

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yeah I wouldn't say that marks mean anything as long as you understand were you went wrong and that you really understand the subject.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

As long as you dont cheat and use braindumps etc, then a pass is a pass.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've been hired for a jillion contract jobs just because I had an A+. The only question people tend to ask is if you're A+ certified and once you say "yes", they never ask what score you got or which version of the exams you took. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've never been asked by an employer what I scored on an exam. As others have mentioned, as long as you're not using braindumps, a pass is a pass is a pass.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Perhaps there may be "willy-waving" rights in being able to say "I scored 960/1000", but any employer that buys that is a bit vacuous, IMHO.

BUT .... my thoughts (again in my humble opinion) are that how confident are you that you know "just" enough to pass when adopting the "pass by just enough" approach ?

Personally, I always aimed to shoot as high as I could, based on the simple logic that I would know enough about enough to get a good pass, whilst minimising risk in the areas that perhaps I wasn't so strong on. It might count for little, but in the few IT certs I have taken to date, I have, so far, maintained a 100% pass rate.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes a pass is a pass.

Having said that i always try and learn the material so that i get a good score. If i then pass by a gnats whisker, i will continue to study the topics that i was week on for my own benefit.

It is the 'knowledge gleaned' that is the most important and valuable thing.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. vinnieg24

vinnieg24 Bit Poster

a pass is a pass...unless you did extraordinary like perfect scores,etc.. i dont think anyone will really look at what you got