Is a linux admin a programmer?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

im very confused ok what a linux admin really does.. from research a linux admin role is very different to a windows admin role..

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Most decent programmers can do 80% of a linux admin roles, most decent linux admins can do 15% of a programmer role.

Linux admins mostly script using bash shell scripts, they don't typically get into 'real programming'. They are also expected to be familiar with the command line, web servers, kerberos, account management, daemons. Typically they are expected to know in reasonable detail about how the system works, what a socket limit is, how the IO subsystem works, how to troubleshoot network issues, how much memory a process needs etc.

A good Windows admin should know about the same amount as a Linux admin, but in reality the bar is far lower for Windows admins, and so a lot of them probably don't know as much.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hmmm I enrolled on a edX course to get more understanding of it, never really touched linux apart from installing ubuntu once and playing with it for about 5 minutes.. hopefully by the end I’ll have more understanding of what linux is and what it can do.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks @dmarsh will defo checkout the coursera links. My PS sub has expired and I wont be renewing but the free resources look sufficient to get me started.