Is A+ 2009 hard?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Richy19, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

hi im studying for the A+ hoping to take it in september (then do the N+ before the end of the year)
    im using Professor messers vids , Mike Meyers All in one book and some test exams to study
    (i will probably be using the same for the N+) unless you guys recommend anything else.
    and im seeing that quite a few people have passed it which is good :biggrin

I am seeing that most of it is simple stuff that i know most of however i am only on chapter 1 of messers vids and it looks like theres quitee a lot of stuff to cover specially when the all in one book has 1000+ pages :(
    and i just wanted to know if the A+ and N+ are as hard as they seem (like having to remember how many pins RAM has and stuff like that) or if its mainly just generic simple questions?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
    WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It'll only be hard if you dont know what your doing.

I already have both but my boss wants me to be up to date for the N+ so I am taking it again next month. What I will say to you is dont get too bogged down over every minute detail i.e the package type for pentium 2.

Try to remember more up to date cpu pckages and subjects like ddr2 240 pins whilst ddr had 184 and SODIMMS are for laptops.

USB 2 is 480Mbps whilst USB 1 was 12Mbps.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Good luck on the A+. I got both the 2006 and 2009 A+ this spring. I used the uCertify, Transcender, and PrepLogic practice exams to study and practice for the 2009 A+ bridge exam.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  4. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Hi,
    I see people referring to practice exams all the time... but don't they contradict self-study? I mean, they are quite pricey... especially if you are getting 2 different source books, and on top of that add practice exams from 3 different companies.
    Are they really necessary?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'll answer your last question first: are they really necessary? No, they're not ABSOLUTELY necessary... but they can certainly be helpful in helping you see whether you're ready for the real exam. In addition, it can help you identify your weak areas. A book can't do that very well.

Practice exams don't contradict self-study at all. In fact, they can augment a self-study plan.

Who said anything about getting practice exams from 3 different companies? Find the best one available and use that as your study source. If you find out that you need another because you're not ready, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Good practice exams ARE quite pricey... but you generally get what you pay for. The pricey ones (should) have detailed explanations of not just why the right answer is right, but of why the wrong answers are wrong. They'll also point you to reference sources that back up what they're saying.

Just remember... retaking an exam is pricey too.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I don't think I used a practice exam at all when I did the A+ many years ago. For the Net+ I used the practice exams that came with my vouchers. For the MCDST exams I used the transcender practice exams. So no 3 aren't necessary and exams can certainly be passed without them but they can be a great tool as the exam time gets closer and you need to find your weak points on which to focus.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Self study is still cheap even if you buy a few practice exams. You don't have to.

At the moment I am doing network+ 2009 and I am considering not buying any since I already passed the network+ but my boss requires me to re-certify.

I have the books with the practice exams that come with them and got 74% on the one I tried whilst its just a fail there are only 50 questions instead of 100.

No one has said use 3 practice exams but what people have said is never use only one source of study i.e books etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

A good practice exam is another source of study material and reinforces what you THINK you learned from the books. I have never failed to learn new things on good practice exams! Some people use flash cards and some use exams but I find that repetition is a key factor in coming to grips with the quantity of material that the certifications covers. As BosonMichael says, the good practice exams explain why the answers are right and why they are wrong. I find this a valuable learning experience. PrepLogic, uCertify, Transcender, MeasureUp (or ExamCram) and Boson (to name a few) all come with explanations.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple