Is 70-291 an Advanced Version of Network+ ?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Neil, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Hey guys, I've been checking out some CBTs on Learnkey to get about studying for the MCSA. I was originally intending on taking 70-270 first, then on to the rest, but after browsing through the session outlines of the LearnKey CBTs.......it looks like 70-291 is an ADVANCED version of Network+ to some extent! Here it is: http://www.learnkey.com/store/images/Windows2003MCSACore.asp

I can find it very easy to relate to this, since I not too long passed my Net+. If this exam really "builds" on Net+, then I figure I can study this FIRST (since Net+ is so fresh in my head), and then move on to the 70-270 and then the 70-290. I'd really appreciate any advice and guidance you experienced guys can give me on this. Thanks in advance for your constant assistance :thumbleft 8)

Edit
    I've just been doing some reading in this forum and saw that many say that this exam is the hardest of all. Someone even said its known as the "beast!" However, I'd still like to get your opinions on this.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would go for the 70-290 first mate, the 70-291 definitely builds on that exam and having the Network+ as well is also helpful.

The 70-291 is much more difficult than the Network+ IMO.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I have not done the N+ myself so couldn't guide you from that perspective.

However, what I can say is that a colleague of mine tried to pass the 70-291 as the first exam on his way to the MCSA.

He had already passed a HND (I think in computing) and knew subnetting, how DNS and DHCP worked and a few other things. But did not have much knowledge and experience with AD or MS technologies.

He nearly passed with around 660ish I think, but was seriously disheartened as it was his first exam.

From this, my advice would be to do either the 70-290 first as Sparky said. This combined with the N+ will most likely make things much easier for you.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Yea I know that its MUCH MORE difficult than Net+ after reading some threads in here :p

So you think I should start with the 70-290 instead.......do you think that's easier than 70-270?

5. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks mate :thumbleft

Then I guess that my FIRST exam for MCSA should be 70-290!

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

If it were me, I'd do the 70-270 first.

The client exam introduces you to a lot of stuff that will be very useful whem it comes to starting the 70-290.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Personally I'd recommend you do the client first which is the 70-270 as this would be some overlaps in the 70-290.

Also get the MS press book and you should be set to go alongside Virtual PC or VMWare server which are both free. You'd use this for the hands on lab practices, best wishes and lets know how you decide.

Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would also recommend doing the 70-270, then the 70-290 before the 70-291. However the question: Is the 70-291 an advanced version of the Network+? In my opinion I would say no.

While the Network+ gives a very good solid base to build upon for the 70-291 (and I strongly recommend doing the Network+ first before doing the 70-291), imo the Network+ would fall more into the lines of the CCNA/CCNP route (or a vendorless CCENT), instead of the MCSA route. Simply due to the things that you learn and get tested on.

And yes the 70-291 is known as the beast for a very good reason, it has one of the highest failure rates first time round :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks alot for your input guys! Doing the 70-270 first was originally my plan. I also wanted to take advantage of the current second shot offer (as I have no experience with Microsoft exams....which I guess are slightly harder than CompTIA). Problem is that the offer is only valid if I take the exam BEFORE Dec 31st. 70-270 requires alot of studying and an MCSA friend of mine also advised to do it first (since it covers alot), but my problem is study time.

I'm figuring that if I study for the 290 instead, I might be able to make the Dec 31 deadline, get a second shot *if* I mess up and also get a "feel" of what the Microsoft exams are like. So as long as I understand what I'm studying, and I'm able to study for about 6-7 hours a day using the MS Press book, do you guys think I can beat the deadline with days to spare? How long did you take to study for this exam (70-290)?

Thanks for your input so far guys! :thumbleft

EDIT:
    Oh one more thing, how often does Microsoft give the Second Shot Offer?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Like the others, I also recommend taking 70-270 first, followed by 290, then 291.

Quite a BIT harder than CompTIA! However, the questions are worded better, so if you know your material, there's little doubt as to the correct answer.

70-290 and 70-291 require just as much study time, if not more.

Yeah, but 70-290 is easier once you've taken 70-270, and 70-291 is easier once you've taken 70-290. Each builds on the other. Take then in whatever order you will... but there's a madness to our method. :)

That's entirely up to you and your experience level with Server 2003. I took only one day to study... but I had quite a bit of experience.

Often enough that you shouldn't let it influence your choice of exam. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Thanks mate! Much appreciated! :thumbleft

13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

That's my original plan........and current one as well :p

I like doing things in order and step-by-step, because every exam builds on the knowledge and experience you gained from the previous. The fact that I'm not familiar with the way Microsoft does things, kinda confused me bit because I didn't want to pass up the second shot offer. But if they do indeed present the offer often enough, then ofcourse I'll take my time, follow my 270-290-291 plan, and be able to put more time into studying, while grabbing the second shot offer ofcourse! -- which I pray I'll only need for *discount* purposes :p

Hence, that's what contributed to the "madness" and undecided-ness of my post :oops: I guess all I need to know is if the offer will be around when I need it next year. But my final decision is (as was intended) Security+, then onto 270-290-291.......as I believe that S+ knowledge will help out in the MCSA. Guess it doesn't pay to deviate from your original plan and course!

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No guarantees - they could discontinue it at any time. But it's likely they'll bring it back, as they have two or three times before.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Consider the 620 as the first exam. This can be used as the elective if you use 270 as the client.
    Good luck!

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297