Is 6 Months too short (ramble warning)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dales, Jan 11, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I am after i bit of advice or general thoughts on my situation. At the moment I am working for a local government authority as a pc and network support officer which means looking after about 300 users (hardware/software) plus also doing some server maintenance (we have an NDS environment with linux and all flavours of windows servers, including nt4 server). along with that I look after patching/switches and also a few thin clients. I also have purchasing power although my purchases have to be authorised by our Head of service first.

Now I've been there for 6 months and gained some experience, but am wondering if its time to move on. Firstly as Im studying for MCSA the NDS environment isnt really what im interested in (it also seems rather insecure to me). other things include when they hired me they put me at the top of the pay bracket and anyone who has/is working in the public sector will know we only get a cost of living allowance rise each year which is normally in the order of 2-3%. Also there are no jobs higher than what I am doing now so progression is again not an option.

I've always felt that this job wasnt the end result and have just always had a feeling that its not quite like home if you know what I mean. There are many things I like about the job and the users are generally very friendly, but also normally it is very quiet and I get bored (so spend alot of time flicking through this very forum). I'd much rather be learning things than sitting on my arse looking at the internet.

I suppose the main thing im worried about is would a job that I chose to leave after 6 months look bad on my CV, generally IT jobs I've stayed at for about 18 months and the roles before that were 2-3 years.

Sorry one more thing as im studying for MCSA and working in an NDS environment I would like the next exam to mean something (the 290), the exam obviously uses AD alot (which i've administered before for 6000 users) but could passing it whilst supporting NDS also be constrewed as a negative on a CV (ping bosonmichael).

Sorry for the ramble but there is rather alot of questions bouncing around in my head!:blink

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You can always start looking around for a new job and see if something's available. If not, bide your time and keep an eye out. It's not like you have to leave your current job right this very second. Sure, you are hitting the law of diminishing returns in terms of what experience you can gain at your current position, but it's not like you know *everything*. Make the best of it. You have a steady paycheck and there may be a thing or two left to learn. In the meantime, put together your CV and start sending it out, but don't necessarily expect the right job to appear immediately. Wait for the right move and when it presents itself, do it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice - I agree completely.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thats cool thanks for the input, im not gagging to get away, but just wondered if the supporting NDS and gaining MCSA at the same time would devalue my certs. But I agree with what you said thanks again for the advice.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't think so. A lot of the stuff you learn whilst studying Microsoft MCSA/E stuff, is about getting Windows clients and servers, to interoperate with other technology (NDS, BIND etc). What you are gaining from your experience is valid knowledge. 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

I can understand where your coming from. Often In my last job used to sit around alot of the time!! Also the 2-3% pay rise a year - I work for local government (school).

Your job now would be the logical next step for me. I would stick at it! As others said a pay slip every month. Also you have this extra time to learn. Why not use it to learn if you don't allready. Get a test system up, play with different equipment in which you have a lack of experiance.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Dales,

My advice would be stay there for as long as you can. When you have spare time, get the books out, vmware images, e-learning - whatever.

Once you have exceeded your role and confident in other area's, start to see what is around.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks everyone for your input, I already study when I have a spare moment (theres alot of those here), I just find it a little frustrating not really doing anything most of the time as I think I could be learning alot quicker elsewhere maybe. There are other factors involved and I do really enjoy my job when there is stuff to do and there are some interesting projects coming up, we are testing thin clients for remote use at the moment and starting to benchmark the servers for virtualisation (also if I stay and sort that out that would look good on the ol' CV).

Thanks all I'll stick it out until my MCSA is done (hoping 3rd-4th quarter this year) then put the feelers out I think.

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually dales, I know how you feel. My first job in an IT department (it was a three-month contract gig actually, while the regular person was out on maternity leave) left me with time on my hands. I remember that I complained about this (I hadn't expected it) on another forum I have since left and was immediately "flamed" for being a "whiner". I really don't like having significant down time at work. I hate being bored and start thinking of all of the other projects I could be doing if I was at home.

If you have down time and your employer allows it, you should continue your studies in areas where you need to learn and perhaps even develop some small projects to hone your skills (maybe using Visio to design a network infrastructure that meets a certain business or technical goal...that's just an example...it could be anything). Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You a whiner.. never :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)