IRQ's, Beep codes & Post error codes

Discussion in 'A+' started by Steven, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Steven

Steven Bit Poster

Hi people

can anyone tell me where i can access any good study material on the above as the Mike Meyers book doesn't provide the specifics.

Its a bit confusing as different Bios manufacturers have different beep codes and post errors so which are you supposed to learn?

Are there general beep codes and post errors you can learn?

Also IRQ cramsheet of some sort would be great

thansk

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO you don't these days need to know lots of specifics about beep-codes and POST error codes, or IRQs much either. Which is probably why the MM book doesn't give a lot of details.

As you say - beeps and POST were different for different manufacturers.

And you can't do much about IRQs in today's Plug'n'Play environment.

So you need to know what they are and what to do about them, but learning long lists isn't needed. I might make a possible exception for the classic original IRQs, but I doubt you would be tested on them!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zcapr17

zcapr17 Nibble Poster

Certifications: MCSE:2K3 MCTS:Vista VCPv3 ITILv3 Sec+ L+
    WIP: MCITP Enterprise Admin 2008, CCA
  4. thepureintheheart

thepureintheheart Bit Poster

WIP: A+, Network+, MCDST
  5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

you aren't supposed to learn any of the beep codes,it's visibly ignored as part of the a+ course because of the variety of meanings between bios manufacturers.

The only one of any use,that appears to be universal,is the single beep on post,which means everything is okay.

And irqs you can learn if you want,they are supposed to be learnt as part of the a+ course.
    There is a small chance you might get a question on them,haven't yet see one myself,they could make the exams harder by asking a few questions on these as it would catch a few people out.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Unless it is a Compaq - which does a double beep if OK!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Ergo - RTFM. :p

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+
  9. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

i don't use text speak,or lazy english abbreviations.

Are you trying to say this is actually part of the A+ ?
    In which case read the manual properly yourself,this isn't part of the A+ for the reasons i've explained.

If all the beep codes were universal then may'be it would be part of the A+ ,they aren't universal therefore it's not part of the course.

10. Qs

...It's an acronym. :dry

Yes. You need to know some universal ones. See here

See above hyperlink.

They're not all universal due to the alterations between motherboard manufacturers, but it's still part of the course. See above hyperlink.

Have a nice day :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

we were told to ignore all of this at college,and it made logical sense to ignore it,the tutorial materials also mention practically nothing about this subject.

How can anyone be expected to learn all the codes for all bios manufacturers.

You'll notice your link is for the old A+ from 2003 too,you do not have to learn this for the current exams.

I've already done one A+ exam this year as you can see,i knew there would be no questions about this subject because it is not required.

You wont even get questions about this while studying or doing weekly tests.

So i still dispute everything you say,posting old links won't convince me.
    If you want me to dig out the current teaching for this subject i will do.It says so little that it won't take long to type it out.

12. Qs

Fair enough.

You can't! But that's not what I'm suggesting. I have no prior experience with the A+ course but I'm assuming part of the course relates to the possibility of knowing some generic beep-codes. (After all - the course can't have changed that much from '03 till now - motherboards still beep right?) If I'm wrong, I'm fine with that too! :p lol

If that's the case then fine. As previously stated - I haven't done the A+! But surely if the Wikipedia article for the '03 core A+ exam states it's required it would be reasonable to assume that a question could appear on a curent A+ exam right?

CompTIA can't ask you every question on every aspect of what you should learn to pass the A+. Just because a certain topic didn't appear for you on one particular exam doesn't mean you should assume that it's never going to turn up.

See below.

I accept that. Still, I'd suggest finding a reputable reference to the specifics of the exam stating whether you do or do not need to know. If it helps the OP (and that's what's important here) finding out this information could be extremely useful.

Qs

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's not text speak... and if you are gonna be in IT, you're gonna want to know what RTFM is. :D You'll encounter acronyms all through your IT career, so get used to them... they're not just "lazy english abbreviations".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!