Irony

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Oct 12, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As most of you know, I've just finished my 2nd week at HP as a "Developmental Editor" for the worldwide documentation of their imaging devices. There's a huge amount to learn (most of which I can't share) and even bigger challenges getting access to resources like voice mail and remote login. :wink:

I get regular email notices on available writing jobs in my area and one I received on Friday looked familiar. It was a "telecommute" opportunity requiring a knowledge of LaTeX, Linux, and relating to web developers. I investigated and sure enough, the company I just left is looking for someone part-time to maintain the documents I created. I took a look at the amount of time they'd require and it's something I could do in the evenings.

I went ahead and contacted the recruiter and threw my hat into the ring. Who knows...I may end up doing open source work on the side while maintaining my "day job". Let you know how/if it works out.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sounds good - good luck

3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd advise going direct if you suspect that a previous employer has a position, no point giving a recuiter a cut when you're the one with all the contacts.

Of course theres normally a no-reemployment period of 6-12 months so this may not be possible. Also bear in mind that I've seen temp to perm fees of £25k, if you go direct you are far more likely to get offered that perm job you seem to want.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

When I was leaving, I offered the employer that option and asked them to contact me if they were interested. They didn't and they didn't have the former contract agency contact me either with an offer. I'm not sure if they're "offended" that I left them to take a more stable position or not. Guess I'll find out.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This bodes ill...I guess I'm not exactly a "shoo in" for this, even though I pretty much invented the way their documentation is done. :rolleyes:

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Heard they gave it to another candidate. Oh well...it would have been a nice side job, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Moving on.

7. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hi Trip,

Sad to hear that but maybe not getting a side job isn't a bad thing..? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy etc.

As for you not getting the job, perhaps they felt it was their way of getting you back for ditching them. Never know.

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+