IPSec

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by hippy, Jan 11, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hello,

Does anyone have a good site for IPSec,Kerberos,NTLM etc... ? Just read Chapter 11 Lesson 2 of the MS Press book for 70-291 and the author might as well of written it in French! I love when he mentions ISAKMP in the book for a question and hasnt mentioned it at all anywhere else i keep finding myself browsing 'google'.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776080.aspx - alot better overview than the book for starters...

Cheers,

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much about the detail of authentication methods. There are some key concepts you'll need to grasp, but I seriously doubt 70-291 will go into any depth about the protocols that make up the various methods of authentication in Windows - let alone the intricacies of IpSec!

FWIW, you'll probably need to know things like how the ticket-granting system is implemented in Windows, the differences betweent Kerberos & NTLM (I doubt a 2K3 exam will quiz you on the differences between NTLMv1 & v2 but you never know), how the IpSec encapsulation process works - stuff at that sort of level. Anything beyond that is probably a waste of your time learning. Check these links out:

Decent overview of Kerberos, probably at the right sort of level for 70-291
    The ever-awesome TCP/IP guide's info on IpSec
    Security Focus' guide to the Windows implementation of IpSec

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks zeb, those links look pretty good! Wonder if i can be a networks/security/vmware Don Wonton Bomb :D.

The whole of chapter 11 does seem a little bit of an after thought. I was wondering how much detail it went into, although i am enjoying it which must bode well for the security exams :)

4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

May I bump rather then new post.

IPSec would be this setup then left alone or is there much ongoing administration.
    I read about Pre - Shared key (clear text)
    why would you use this & what would the benefit be ?

Have been thinking do I really need to know a deep knowledge.

*off to look at zebulebu urls