iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Fergal1982, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I thought it might be handy to have a thread for people to list iPhone apps they find essential, or highly recommend. It would probably be worth having an android version too, but someone with an android can start that one :biggrin.

Here's mine for starters:

1) Facebook - Social networking app for facebook. Not perfect, but allows you to do the usual stuff from the phone

2) Pleco - Chinese dictionary software. Free basic app, with an alright dictionary (and a few free additional dictionaries). Also has in-app paid features that give professional dictionaries, handwriting character recognition, etc. (Coming Soon, live OCR via camera). This is also available on other platforms (I think Android has, or will have), and the purchases are transferable between them all.

3) Vouchercloud - Free app for discount coupons for local amenities. Very handy.

4) Redlaser - Free barcode scanner. Searches the web for the scanned item and displays costs.

5) Shazam - Song recognition app - free (5 uses per month) or paid (unlimited).

6) TuneIn Radio Internet streaming radio for popular OTA radio stations. Can take urls for stations not listed.

7) EpicWin - RPG style task list. Only released earlier this month.

I have a few others, but that will do for now.:biggrin

Edit: Links supplied are for the UK app store

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I got a lot of good use out of "Cram" which is a flashcard or testing program. I did the bulk of my A+ studying by using it to create 35 - 60 question test which I could carry with me and study when ever I had a chance.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

My daily apps are

Goodreader
    Pandora
    Shoeboxed
    Facebook
    Soundhound
    Foursquare
    Wikipanion
    Dropbox
    CraigsPro
    BBC News
    TFLN
    Hulu Plus

and duh
    Twitter

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

So you have to add the questions in manually? Can you give me a bit more detail on how it works

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Just got the new ipod touch today (too cheap to get iphone!). Can any one recommend apps i can run on this? most seem to need internet (which i wont always have as i'd be using wifi) and some seem to need other features iphone has that ipod dont.
    Its no good getting an app that requires an always available internet access, so what alternatives are there?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,