iPhone anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Anyone got one or plan to get one? Just know that I will get a few questions about this on Monday!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7085643.stm

There is a guy wearing a Metallica top in the first pic, I thought Metallica fans had good taste! :biggrin :rocks

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Looks like you need to have a word with phoenix :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

dout i'll be getting one, they're just a fasion accessory. everything i've heard about them is they look nice and have a nice GUI but they don't have as much functionality as the likes of the N95

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

A recent episode of the Gadget Show compared the iphone to my trusty Nokia N95. They really put them through their paces and it was clear that the iphone was little more than *bling*.

5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i read a review of the N95, iPhone and blackberry and the iPhone had nothing in the way of functionality i look for over the N95. the iphone has no 3G, no wifi, only 2MP camera, no instant messenger, no multimedia messages and no video capture. the only avantages i see is it has a bigger, high res, touch screen and they both come with 8GB memory. i gotta admit though it does look cool :)

I definitiely wont be buying one at £270, i may be tempted in the future if they upped the spec and when they start giving them out for free.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

Yeah of the guys at my place phoned in sick just to get an iPhone lol. All the team knew what he was doing. But I dont think I'll get one. Ive already got an iPod and Mobile phone so I think im ok ;)

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Unfortunately, converged devices of this nature are shite
    the technology just is not there yet,
    If I want to take photos, I bring my camera, if I want to record some video, I bring a video camera
    the Camera can take hundreds of high res crystal clear photos in crap light and last a day with a single charge
    the video camera can shoot 10 hours of 1080p HD on a tape or two, and the battery lasts a good slog too

what I want from a phone is one that will not be dead when I need it the most, and unfortunatly 3G knocks a good 50% off the talk time of most phones,
    3G is the one thing that would of made sense in the iPhone, but the need for better battery life outweighed it, fair enough :)

I also think the N95 is an awesome phone, and if it wasn't for the iPod it may well of been the first nokia phone for me (sony keep adding a gig of memory and re badging there ****ing Walkman phone pieces of shite), but its still stuck in the dark ages as a communications platform, its no more unique than anything else out there, and is hampered by the same pitfalls as the others
    the UI IS what makes the iphone what it is, its what makes it a Social Object and not just a tool

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. Know what functionality I need from my phone? To enable me to place and receive calls. I don't need it to take pictures, or play games, or send/receive text messages, or provide Internet connectivity... I just need it to be used as a phone. That's about it. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. grizz3210

grizz3210 Byte Poster

best place for it me thinks:twisted:

Certifications: A+ N+ MCTS-vista
    WIP: MCDST
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I find the iPhone looks like a nice phone to have, but it is too expensive for a phone.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hah! I love the Will It Blend episodes.

"iSmoke. Don't breathe this!" :biggrin

For the record, Chuck Norris will not blend. :kar

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Chuck norris can blend anything with a round house kick to the head!

14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Blast from the past
    but rather fitting given this weeks announcement (anybody else sad enough to watch the keynote via qik cellphone feeds like me?) :P

iPhone 3G seems to of addressed most the major criticisms of its first generation counterpart, and then some!

• its 3G, the big bit, but its 3G with a decent battery life (apparently)
    • it has GPS, on its own not so special, but with the iPhones screen res, interface, and programming interface, it opens up a world of geospacial applications (Geotagging on photos is already supported on it, tom tom is coming out, location based contact lists (friends within x miles))
    • its cheaper, by a lot!
    • they have changed the pricing model to be more in line with carriers other vendors, thus being picked up by more carriers (22 at launch, they only managed 6 euro markets in the entire year so far), it can be network subsidized up to 200 bucks, meaning the cheap one is essentially free for contract subscribers
    • app store! apps are finally going to start rolling out for it, easy to install and maintain just like on any mac, games (some of them look fun with the accelerometer), messaging, search, lots of cool stuff down the pipeline
    • Enterprise integration, exchange, cisco vpn, full push support (blackberry application is in the works i've heard) great stuff!!!
    Having used mine since launch, I've really started to use it as more than a phone (something I never even did with my P900 really) and the new features are going to bring it to a new level

I have to buy myself out of my O2 contract anyway as I'm moving, time to get in bed with AT&T!

Excited? oh yes, bring on July 11th!

15. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

One of my techie friends says that it's very impractical as a phone, and has poor battery life.

I've played with one and it's very fluid and flash, but I wouldn't shell out the cash for something that seems to be more of a fashion accessory than anything else.

16. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Well i have used mine non stop since November, and I average 10 - 20 calls a day while i'm on the go, and don't charge it at the office, no problems here with battery life unless i do a ton of browsing as well

I consider myself a pretty heavy user, and whilst the phone itself has some impracticalities (you have to take it out of your pocket to make calls, no voice dialling, weird) its practicality as a business tool has proven itself time and time again for me!

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Nope. I want THIS instead! :)

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  18. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

It looks good - but I have no complaints with my Blackberry. Syncs with my work calendar and typing is pretty good - that's perfect for me. 8)

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Me too. :biggrin

The iPhones are nice but too much to pay just for a lifestyle.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Slightly OT

Why stop at an iPhone when you can have something comparable (and cheaper) and THINNER than a Macbook Air!

CLICK!

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA