Iphone 4 vs HTC Mozart

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by asje1, Oct 21, 2010.

1. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

So my phone contract is up... Pondering which upgrade to take...

Iphone or wait for the HTC windows 7 phone?

Certifications: A+, N+
  2. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

This is a decent article covering the 2 you mention as well as a few more.

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I have an iPhone... and I'll be throwing it away. The final nail in the coffin (when we don't talk about the constantly crashing browser), was when all my apps just decided to deauthorize themselves one day. Poof, just like that. grrrr...

The 7's came in the shops today, already chose mine internally (as we're getting one for free, should be shipping to us any day now), and can't wait to have it as I got to play with it a few times already in the past few months. The UI is just soooo smooooth, and I actually like the main page/dynamic window of the phone. The default colors are a bit poof, but you can choose something else. And rearranging stuff is great. The browser didn't crash once when I tried the usual sites I go to (the iPhone has driven me nuts on this aspect alone) and the office apps were cool. Better email reader too (Outlook) versus using the iPhone to connect to an Exchange server.

etc... etc... but in the end, you buy what you most feel comfortable with. At least it'll be YOUR phone, not Steve Job's phone.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

good to know, a couple of my friends have the iphone 4 and they really rate it... read those reviews and thats kinda swayed me towards the HTC Mozart...

The Mozart is free with orange in the UK, conveniently thats who im currently with, so would save me £120 on that handset too.

What i actually want from a phone is to be able to browse the net - wifi and 3G with ease, no need for email, yeh gadgets are cool but its not what i want really, just a decent browser, and a phone that in 24 months time (contract length - sigh) will not be out dated and forgotten.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. Shinigami

Pretty sure that firebox/opera will be coming out in the app store for the 7 phones in the next 6-12 months as well... maybe quicker. That is, if IE doesn't do it for you.

But ultimately, one needs to try the phones in person before they shell out their hard-earned cash on anything.

I was surprised to find that the WinPho7's are all coming out with the cheapest price of any other new smart phone on the market in Switzerland (At least when you get it with a contract). They're exactly 1chf with the cheapest offer whilst iPhone 4 and the recent Androids all go for anything from 50 to 200chf WITH a contract. Pretty nice in that aspect for us (Microsoft) if we want to see accelerated adoption rates :)

And although there are not as many apps as with Android or iPhone, at least we're shipping with thousands of apps on launch day unlike the others when they first came out (if anyone cares about those numbers). shame to lose the few games I got for my iPhone, but seeing as none of them work anymore (without seemingly having to do a hardreset and new sync of my phone), I guess I'm shafted anyway...

Anyone know if you can gift iPhone apps to someone else?

6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I had my mitts on a HTC Win7 at the weekend and it really is a good looking phone, I ditched my Iphone previously for the Desire and haven't regretted it, it's a brilliant device and has really converted me to using my phone for a lot more than just texting or receiving abuse from the other half.

I'll more than likely give the Win7 device ago when my contract is up, the only negative thing I could see about it was that the Icons seemed a bit childish in appearance, probably due to the size of them, but I'm sure they could be adjusted.

At the rate HTC are churning out decent handsets I might have to look at buying some shares.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Another thing that puts me off the iphone is the whole itunes saga, my current phone has a micro hd slot - the amount of times ive quickly taken that out into a converter then dragged a few pics or music over from my pc etc - almost everyday. To not be able to use my iphone like a mass storage device on the go is abit of a downer..

Rang Orange, its coming out 'next week'

8. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

The whole HTC vs iPhone debate reminds me of the Volkswagen Golf advert :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  9. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

bit off topic but I have had people who own iphones ask me is my Desire an iPhone!

"Ahem, cough, no. Its not...."

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  10. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

lol, yeah your right.

I think I'm turning into a bit of an HTC fanboy, anytime one of my mates has a whinge about his phone, before I know it the words "Oh, you should look at getting an HTC" seem to spue involuntarily from my gob.

Its weird as before i'd looked at mobile phones as nothing more than a nuisance and pretty much akin to being electronically tagged.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I like the look of the Mozart but heard that 3rd party applications aren't allowed to run in the background. The example they gave is a Twitter app that isn't updated dynamically and has to be opened and refreshed. To me this might be a pain if say a google mail application isn't allowed to run in the background to warn you of new emails. Like the look of the HTC Desire HD and my contract is up with Vodafone but they won't offer a good deal so might opt for the Mozart anyway as it does look like a really nice phone.

Does anyone know if these new Windows 7 phone have the ability to use your wireless to boost their signal as Blackberry's supposedly do?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I get the best of both worlds I guess

My personal phone is an iphone 4 (with a nice chip in the front, go me!) and my work phone (I'm part of the Microsoft team at my place) will be a Windows 7 phone as soon as they hit the shelves with AT&T

I'm not a huge HTC fan (I used to be, but this constant bs release of a million phones with slightly different feature sets just annoys the crap out of me), nor am i a fan of littly plastic feeling things anymore! i have been spoiled by the iPhone for 3 years :)

But.. totally better than the Palm Treo running WinMo 6.5!! haha
    the apps are what make the phone (as long as the phone can keep up) so lets see what MS can deploy on that side of the fence

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

Why did they not include multitasking on Windows 7 phones? Surely that's a standard feature for a smartphone.

14. Shinigami

Why no multitasking? Well... what do you 'want' to multitask? As the screen is too small to display multiple apps next to each other, multitasking would for example come into play when you want to share stuff between apps, and some of it is supported with the 7 phones.

But just give it time, it'll be here.

Cut and Paste has been confirmed for Q1 2011. Flash support was confirmed by Adobe a few days ago. Tethering rumors internally have stated that this too will be supported shortly after cut and paste support.

The original goal of the WinPho7 team was to provide a stable release where everything worked very well out of the box. I think this has been delivered as I've been playing with my HTC 7 Trophy and think it works fabulously well. Obviously, it's not perfect, but then again neither is my iPhone 3G (which I will be getting rid of now as it's definitely worse than the 7 phone due to it crashing all the time and being super slow in comparison to the 7).

But for sure, we will need to wait months before there are enough apps and enough features to allow the 7 phones to be considered 'equivalent' to Androids or iPhone 4's since many people still lambast the 7 phones for their lack of some of the features mentioned above.

Meanwhile, I'm loving it and it is a breath of fresh air. It's MY phone, not Steve Job's phone, lol :D

(no, but seriously. Buy what you are pleased with. Buy what works for you. If that's an Android or an iPhone over a 7 phone, then so be it. I'd rather see people happy with their purchase then frustrated, and nobody would like a frustrated 7 phone user, least of all Microsoft. Best to always give it a go in a store first).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  15. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I wasn't bashing Win 7 phones/os. I'm watching it closely before jumping ship. I know they will implement copy and paste and multitasking in the future, was just curious why it isn't there from the start (but you've answered that). As for multitasking, I didn't mean run apps side by side on the screen but in the sense that you can switch apps with one button/tap without closing one down. Sure, you won;t get true multitasking like on a desktop but there are some good uses for it :)

16. Shinigami

The leftmost button of the three buttons at the bottom of the device, is the "back" button. In some applications, when you do something, it will take you to another application, and so on. When you then press the back button, it will take you back to the previous application (or previous page of say a website you were on when using Internet Explorer).

True multitasking is not there, but many apps can work with other apps and be launched from within apps. For example, I have the HTC photo editing application. If I go into my galleries and hold down my finger on one of the pictures I took, a shortcut to "edit my picture" appears. If I click this, the picture is opened up in the photo editor. If I press the 'back' button, it takes me back to my galleries (a reference to the above).

Some apps can also update in the background (for example, email can be set to synchronize every 5 minutes), and Microsoft recently mentioned that they will let other companies publish applications that work even when the device is locked, as long as battery consumption is kept in check. A sort of multitasking, right?

So... what I'm saying is this; the features will be here eventually. Not straight away, but in due time. Will it take 3 months, 6 months or 12 months is anyones guess, but I think cut & paste is here in just a few short months time. Other features will follow. The company is placing a lot of bets on this device, so they don't want it to fail. Hopefully it won't.