iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So I picked up my iPad this afternoon. Loving it so far. Got some fantastic apps for it so far (such as BeejiveIM, and Reeder).

The only real niggle I've found is the lack of "mark all as read" for the mail app. its a royal pain.

So, for those who have an iPad, what apps do you consider part of your 'essential' collection?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not iPad specifically but I use mBox Mail as my email client... however obviously as I am on ignore by you you won't see this... oh well never mind, perhaps someone else can suggest mBox Mail to you instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Not strictly iPad only but on my phone (all free unless stated):

DC comics reader - there is a marvel one too
    Evernote
    Dropbox
    ibooks - can be used to read your PDF versions of cert books as well as make notes on them and make them searchable
    flight cotrol (59p on the phone, there is a HD version for the iPad not sure of the cost) - very addictive game.
    Angry Birds (as above)
    Twitteriffic
    IMDB (for those "wait I have seen him in something, oh Christ what is it....." moments)

Cant think of any more off the top of my head right now.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps use mBox Mail instead? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

:D :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Could. Not. Live without these apps now (and I don't actually own anything Apple...). Saves so much twatting around with USB drives etc just to keep the shopping list handy.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

DropBox
    GoodReader (**** that built in ibook ****)
    iDisk
    Reeder (THE BOMB DOT COM!!!!.. ahem)
    Pandora (multi tasking would be nice though, i just use it on the iphone instead haha)
    Evernote
    Things
    Adobe Ideas (oh yes)
    Penultimate (not as good as above)
    Hulu plus... damn wheres my bloody invite.. :)
    Netflix... probably not much use for you..
    Citrix Reciever
    Wyse PocketCloud
    GotoMeeting
    Webex

Edit: and I have no idea why i quoted you haha

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

out of intrest do IT Ebooks look any good on the Ipad - I have a vast amount of them and have thought about getting an Ereader - the Ipad if it can do the job as well as the others will more than likely be my choice.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

the iPad has the best support of any e-reader i know for crazy PDFs with graphs and images and stuff
    being its, you know, a computer! :)

just dont expect to convert them to ePub and get all the nice shineys
    the Kindle has native PDF support now, but it didn't always, so i can't compare to that specifically as I have not used one since..

10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Do you convert your PDf's to epub format to view them, or do you use a different app?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

goodreader
    best damn pdf reader out there
    can create custom bookmarks, it has a mode that auto scrolls the test so if your on a treadmill or something it scrolls for you, lots of cool stuff

12. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Can be opened in iBooks, when grabbed from either a web link or email, an option appears top right saying open in iBooks, click that and iBooks opens with a new tab for PDF's.

Already have all of my MS press books in there - really useful for carrying round.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012