Introduction

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TriXaM, Sep 26, 2007.

1. TriXaM

TriXaM New Member

Hey all!

I've been a reader of these forums for the past couple weeks and thought it was time to sign up and introduce myself properly :)

I've been working for an international IT outsourcing company for the past 8.5 years; I originally joined up as an apprentice and completed various NVQ's in my first few years and most recently graduated from a part time degree with first class honours in Information Systems.

My real interest as a hobby has always been IT infrastructure (desktop/network tinkering) but I was shepherded down the software development route during my apprenticeship, and that is where much of my work experience now lays. I have well developed soft skills and good experience in 3rd/4th line software development support for various clients.

My problem is that I now want to pursue my real interest in IT as my long term career path (ideally in networking or server support), but the majority of my experience is in the software sector. I'm hoping that I can get some friendly advice on how best to progress my career on my intended path. Unfortunately, my current employers have little opportunity for infrastructure support which makes me believe my long term future belongs with another employer. But what would be the best way for me to proceed? I am thinking perhaps self-study starting with the A+ which I believe I should be fairly comfortable with, but in terms of employment I can't afford to take too much of a step backward financially; so I have to take all things into consideration.

Well, sorry for the long intro - but it's nice to meet you all, and I look forward to getting to know everyone better through the weeks ahead :D

Thanks for reading, take care.
    TriXaM.

Certifications: B.Sc (Hons) Information Systems (1st)
  2. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Hi TriXaM

Welcome aboard!

I only joined the Forum yesterday and have had loads of advice. I have decided to start at the A+ route after sitting on my backside for too long in my role of IT Network Support.

Good luck with your choice of Certification path.

Bob

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi and welcome to CF, I would agree with your thinking and do your A+ (followed by your Network+).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

The general way to go is CompTIA A+ then N+ then go the Microsoft route and most people on this forum would also recommend self studying i.e buying the relevant books and studying them, theres no need for a training provider.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

I agree with what's been stated above already. I also think that you should start getting some more experience with the desktop/network side of support if possible, because ultimately thats what the employers look for from the beginning.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. jebulgo

jebulgo New Member

New here too so welcome :)

Certifications: BSc (Hons) HNC MBCS
    WIP: MCSA / MCSE / MCTS
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I aggree with what the others have said. As for your intro, it was not to long at all. In fact I wish more people would give this kind of information; it lets others know exactly were you are coming from. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The A+ and Network+ are great to start out with. I can't promise that you won't have to take a step backwards... after all, you can't get high-level jobs without high-level experience. Certainly your exposure to certain technologies will help you to advance faster... but you have to build the real-world experience somehow. If that means a step back, then hopefully your "past history" will help you to advance quicker than someone starting out in IT from scratch.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!