Introduction to AD

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by joeseven, Aug 17, 2011.

1. joeseven

joeseven New Member

Hi guys,

I've recently started a new job and they want me to get really involved in Active Directory. They're already sending me on a total beginner's course for it! But I'd quite like to get to understand some basic knowledge before going. I know that is what the course is for, however, I'd just like to understand a little bit about it!

If anyone knows of any great books/websites then if you could link me to them I'd be very grateful!

Thanks and all the best,
    Joe

2. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Check our resources on the MS website and maybe look for resources specifically regarding:
    User management
    Group Policy
    Computer management
    Groups
    Organisational Units
    Sites

Those are the main kind of things you want to start with for basic management.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Another thing I've found useful over my time is youtube - search for AD on there and that can bring some little gems up.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

To be honest, the 290 MS press book helped a lot... It goes over the basics and goes a little technical but not too technical... You can always add that book to your reference. The Technet website has lots of info, just googling will give you lots of info. Active Directory depending on what you're doing can be very simple or very complex.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. joeseven

joeseven New Member

Thanks so far guys. Eventually I will be using AD to run a network of 200+ people. But at the minute, they're wanting me to train up from scratch as I haven't really had much dealings with it in the past. At the minute, I'm just looking to do some basic things - then obviously move on to the more complex learning in time.

I was realistically looking for a book/website without loads of advertisements then I can just sit and read every so often without being snowed up with the amount of technical jargon. :)

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You could also go to a library or book store and leaf through any books on AD that they might have.

Mark Minasi is a pretty good author with a written style that makes learning/reading fun. He wrote a very nice Windows Server 2003 book (it's large tho', over 1600 pages or so) which I have and is sometimes considered "the bible" by some. The chapters in it on AD are very good and easy to understand. See if you can find that (or maybe an updated 2008 book) and read the chapter for an initial introduction, and then buy the book if you like what you see :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. joeseven

joeseven New Member

Thanks for that :) I've managed to find "Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2" so I think I'll be getting that! :)

8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

An often overlooked resource is the built-in help in the active directory console, has a wealth of information on how to use it, can be said for any of the built-in help for most console in Microsoft.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  9. Julius

Julius Bit Poster

Hi Joeseven,

I am also new to this but what I have found very helpful are the CBT NUggets and the TrainSignal videos, I know CBT have day passes where for a flat fee you have access to their video library for 24hrs, here is a two minute taster that they give and if you think this covers what you need you can spend a whole Saturday getting acquainted: https://secure.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/series/msft_70_640/5498

Here is a YouTube video I found quickly but not sure of it's quality, there are loads of intro to Active Directory: Introduction to Active Directory - YouTube

TechNet article: Introduction to Active Directory: Active Directory

Not promoting any of these products or services just saying that they have helped me (CBT Nuggets, TrainSignal, YouTube, TechNet).

Hope this helps!

J