Intro and question

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pedwar1, Oct 7, 2008.

1. pedwar1

pedwar1 New Member

Greetings folks, bit of introduction -

Been working in IT for the same company (although it's changed names a number of times) for about 18 years now, mostly helpdesk work (when the helpdesk was a true IT first line support function rather than call logging as it is now!), but mixed in with Deskside Support, and for the last 4 years as network support looking after the local area network mainly covering 3 sites we have in the area. I also help out the WAN team based a couple of hundred miles away to do with physical cabling/support (due to my geographical convenience rather than my technical skill :) )

Networking kit is about 99% Cisco, so I've had some experience cabling and configuring switches and very little experience with Routers (apart from simulators and a playing with a couple of spare 2600's) I've not had any formal training, just hands on experience, asking questions of the other members of the network team (via phone as they're also couple of hundred miles away in yet another site) and CBT courses/books.

About 4 or 5 months ago, I decided to start studying for the CCNA via the ICND1 and 2 exams. Finally got my head around subnetting, and was doing well (so I thought) on the cisco practice exams (the multiple choice ones from the Cisco Prep Centre) so I thought I would confidently try the practise ICND1 exam that you get with the Cisco Official Exam Certification Guide book - oh boy was I in for a shock - I spectacularly failed it.

It's made me realise that I need to supplement my existing knowledge with an instructor led course. The company I work for have announced there is a training budget so I want to get in quick before it's all spent :) Should I go for the bootcamp type courses for ICND1 & 2? If so, can anyone recommend a particular company/course? Obviously the training budget is limited, so I doubt I would be able to get a 2 month training course in the Maldives for example :)

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Since your companies budget is limited, have you looked at your local college to see if they do the CCNA course, normally it is discounted as it is normally combined with a Edexcel (BTEC) course, the price you'd be looking at would be approx: £622 (give or take).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. pedwar1

pedwar1 New Member

Hi Ken - thanks for the prompt reply - I hadn't thought about local colleges - will investigate further. Cheers for the pointer.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Bah - evil cisco :p

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I guess you have used the Cisco press books for revision, tbh i found them good, but at times (as with some other IT revision books) you have to be a glutton for punishment at times.

To get my CCNA, i used, the 2 cisco press books, the Wendell Odem revision video cd rom, and also i enrolled on this site http://www.howtonetwork.net/ (about fiver a month), which i thought was really good at explaining the bits in english, which i dont think the Cisco books at times managed.

Also i purchased a 2 router, 1 switch set off ebay to practice with, anyways done be discouraged, Cisco exams are hard, and they are high pressure due to the time limits, so subnetting (quickly) in your head is mandatory, also troubleshooting skills and config skills are also a necessity.

Anyways good luck, I failed my ICND2 exam the first time, passed 2nd time, so I wouldnt worry too much, they are doable.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA