Interviews

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Jan 3, 2017.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hello everyone

I am not sure if I will be asked so I am thinking of asking my boss if I can be on the interview panel when they interview for a new technician.

The main reason is I dont want to be landed with what I was landed with last time, ie me doing all the work etc. Now I know being on the panel will not gaurantee this but I think by now I can pick up when someone is not what they say they are or I can test their technical knowledge.

I aint saying I will get the perfect person to work with but I do feel that being part of the process would be beneficial to me not just to suss out a replacement but also to see things from an interviewers perspective?

What do you think?

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Go for it, it's good experience if you have not done this before. Especially if you end up working with the person hired.

At my last job I was doing technical interviews, first one I did with an hours notice and no time to prep - I was probably more stressed than the applicant! I'm really glad I got involved, gave me a lot of confidence. Very interesting to see how much misleading CV's can be, found best techies the ones who had average or poor CV's (probably just coincidence, not an advice in any way!). After years of nearly constant job hunting it was great to see it from the other side.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good experience and shows initiative. In our place its usually always a manager for people management questions and a techie in the area you're going for to grill you a little on your technical knowledge

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Bit of an update on this.

I wont be part of the interview process, however I was part of the selection process. We have 5 for interview, which will be in about 2 weeks from now. Problem is, im not so sure with what we have selected....

Also there will be notice that needs to be worked when we select one of them, if one gets selected. The notice will be about a month so it will be the end of march before someone could be appointed.

Im on my own at the moment which is good as I am holding my own but wow, can it get busy.

All experience tho

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Good stuff mate. Unless they are contracting or unemployed a month is about as quick as you can get. I only have to give four weeks notice which is rare I believe. A lot of places like you to give up to three months....gulp!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs