Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Apr 20, 2012.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So i had an interview today and didnt get the job, which im glad they told me about there and then as id hate to wait etc, over a weekend.

The interview was nothing like id seen before, all of the candidates were in the same room. First we introduced ourselves to each other, then did a group task answering a set question for which we then presented our findings. Then we were all given a question each that had to be read out and one person was critiquing us on what we said, this was from the group and each person was assigned a random person. Then we each had a minute to say why we were the best for the job.

Ive never had that before, and it was an IT helpdesk job after all, however people who were going for it were way overqualified, as some had 15 or 20 yrs exp in the field at management level. At the end of the whole thing, we did a interview feedback form but also a confidence sheet on who we think should get the job, and also who we think shouldnt. Only bonus thing i can say on this is i picked the top three. So im thinking of going into HR from now on.

Oh well its experience, and theres other stuff in the pipeline. What i may do is where i was today, they did mention there was only the one post but that they felt they needed one more etc, so i think ill ask to do voluntary work, surely that cant hurt, even though obviously id like it to be paid lol

ZX

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Pretty intense interview for a help desk position.. Is it a big company?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

Ouch, never ever had that before myself, not my idea of fun at all. Maybe there were simply too many candidates and this way was simply more efficient but I would suggest that the stronger personalities excel and typically get the job this way rather than the best person. Put it down to experience and continue looking, imo only volunteer to beef CV and if it won't interupt your search/other interviews.

If it were me, I'd use that form for a few mindgames and make comments. I'd dismiss the 'over qualified' for that very reason, put myself top and explain why I'm better than the others even if they asked that you can't vote for yourself, maybe 'forgetting' to put my name on it as well. I don't approve of the method used so I'd try and turn into a game and play a little dirty ;).

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Its a big company, with 200 people to support and also they mentioned about merging with 2 others. I think thats whats eating at me, the way they interviewed for it. Bearing in mind my work exp is with in a school and a univeristy. Im in the catch 22 situation, need the experience to get a job, but cant get the job cos i dont have the experience. Think ill hammer the volunteer approach till i get something.

Zx

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680