Interview tomorrow...need help asap

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by runiu, Feb 28, 2007.

1. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hi!

I've interview tomorrow for junior helpdesk and I completely don't know what questions should I expect ?

Please help

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

the first thing is not to panic! try and remain calm; be yourself and honest.

as for questions, they might be a mixture of technical, social events and dealing with customers/staff.

explain how eager you are to learn and how flexible you are - you can cope with a varied role which can cope under pressure right? :thumbleft

technical questions could be along the lines of;

user can't log on
    computer won't turn on
    error messages
    lost files etc.

if you don't know the answer, say so, but don't forget to tell them you know where to begin looking for the answers.

best of luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I don't know either, it's impossible to predict, just relax, be yourself, don't BS, tell them what you know and that you are willing and able to learn. Anser their questions as best you can. You would do yourself a big favour if you do some research on their company, so that you are fully aware of what they do and how they operate. Dress professionally, suit, tie and polish your shoes :biggrin

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Kraven

Kraven Kilobyte Poster

I'm dreading my first interview. I just know they'll ask me a question and I'll just go blank. And it will be some simple question that i'd be able to answer any other time.

Kraven

Certifications: Network+, MCSA, 70-680
    WIP: A+, 70-685
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

i think people skills are something you build up. If you are used to dealing with people face to face in your normal role, really speaking, an interview isn't any different. Of course, you want the job but try and be yourself.

If there are two people present, look straight at the person talking to you and stay relaxed - the other person will be watching for body language.

Best of luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. runiu

runiu Nibble Poster

Hello

Thank you for your help...the interview was quite well...but the next one will be more technical probably...what technical questions should I expect on the second interview ???
    The position is helpdesk for end users.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, MCTS: Vista
    WIP: MCITP
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's impossible to know - every interviewer is different and will have different expectations. For a helpdesk position where I work, we'd ask things related to healthcare applications as well as general technology questions. If you were applying for a help desk position at Dell, they might ask you what Dell models you've worked on. Who knows? The different questions that could be asked are far too numerous to quantify.

Besides, either you know this stuff by now, or you don't. No amount of cramming's gonna help you through the wide variety of technical questions that could be asked. Don't stress out - just do the best you can. If you're who the company is looking for, they'll hire you.

Only advice I can give is this: if you don't know the answer to a question, say so. Whatever you do, DON'T just make up a bullcrap answer... that's the easiest way for an interviewer to spot and expose your weaknesses. Besides, I'd MUCH rather a tech be truthful with me and say they don't know rather than try to make something up in an attempt to "look good" or impress me.

Best of luck to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Just hang lose and get a good nights sleep.

Mention when appropriate that if you dont know the answer you know where to find it...as the thing to avoid is saying you know something when you dont...

If I was hiring a help desk type:

1. Must be presentable, diplomatic and polite with users.
    2. Be able to diagnose faults, like the first thing you check is whether a user has parked their briefcase on the network connection and things dont work because of it...."WHAT HAS Changed"
    3. Understand DNS and IP, tools like ping, nslookup, ipconfig and tracert.
    4. Be able to reset browser settings.
    5. Some printer knowledge would be useful
    6. Can talk through folder aceess issues...
    7. Can configure Outlook at first login.
    8. Be prepared to ask for help from the senior techs.

Basically make a list of what you do know and be prepared to submit it if asked....

HTH

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  9. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I worked on a computer helpdesk for a short while many years ago. The type of questions you are likely to encounter will be customer service based and basic hardware. It is likely they will look into your customer service background as well as your IT background and knowledge. Dont be alarmed if you struggle with any of the questions or feel you are missing any elements they say they are looking for. Other factors such as your personality, interpersonal and communication skills will be taken into account. Alot of employers these days will consider how well you will fit in and how much of a team player you are just as importantly as your knowledge and experience of the subject. So expect questions on team building and think of some sitchuations you have worked as part of a team