Interview Tommorow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Shinx2k6, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I've got an interview tommorow (its with Two Managers - one IT/HR) in a firm called "Information Maritime Organization", which is located at Lambeth Road - London (near to Vauxhall Station). The position is for 1st line support and call centre based call logging.

I wanted to get some input from you guys about the firm. Has anyone worked there before and what kind of interview question should I be expecting, and yes I've visited their website which is www.imo.org (not too useful). I did not get much out from my agency - very busy person, although he did mention its going to be based on my CV and that I shold mention few things on the importance of using technologies in an enterprise business .

At the moment I work for small computer retail shop; mainly providing laptop/desktop repairs, basic webhosting, software supports, and may customer based laisions.

If anyone can give me few tips, I would much appreciate it.

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Never worked there, but id imagine the questions will be split in your technical knowledge, and phone/customer service skills.

Problems you will possibly be asked to solve are login issues (such as account locked, user has caps lock on, password expired) and what you would do to solve the various issues.

Also general knowledge of using office products could be brought up, usually email questions are asked (such as setting up accounts, rules and whatnot)

How much have you researched the company? Think of some questions to ask about the role and the company, show some interest wherever possible.

Just be confident, but try not to be overbearing and good luck.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good luck with the interview tomorrow.

Be on time, look smart and well presented. Do some background research of on the company, so you can link conversation back to there environment.

Listen and ask some questions at the end e.g. What career progression/training does the company offer for the right candidate? What brought you to work for the company? How long have you been here?

Note that it is not normally PC to discuss salary requirements unless the interviewer brings this up.

Here is the link to my recent Job Interview, hope it helps a little.

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=224439#post224439

Craig

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

They might ask you example based questions, i.e. "tell us about a time when you encountered this error and the steps you took in fixing the problem".

If you haven't experienced the problem before then you may have to think of something else and change it suit. Or, just make up a scenario with a customer or client! Think on your feet!

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Shinx2k6

Shinx2k6 Bit Poster

Hi guys, back from interview

Thanks providing the excellent support as expected from such forum ;p

The interview was conducted in a one-to-one bases, where I was interviewed by the IT manager only (strange). I had the following questions asked:

1 - Your usual start-off of course - How was your travel?
    [A] - It was great, there was no problems, since I only live 10-20mins walking distance :p. I am delighted to be here!

2 - Tell more about yourself with regards to the CV (Education, Work expo, general skills) and your current situation)?
    [A] I answered first by outling the different IT environment I worked for which was ranged from retail to finance sectors and how my different levels of education was used to accomplish many task I undertook in my previous work places. Secondly for each field and education I gave examples of what I actually accomplished and how my customer service skills, team work skill, IT skills, and communication skills was used. Finally I summarised my interpersonal skills to match the job requirements.

3 - How do you install vista for 300 desktop in a week? and how would you do it from xp to vista? whats the best approach? (this was quite hard for me) if any of you guys can clarify more on this would be great.
    [A] I know there is a way to install xp operating systems from a network computer to several machines by means of unattended scripting approach. This is done by gathering the required images, the volume licences (so you dont have to do repeating phases like enter cd-key, set region, format driver, etc..). Other things I stressed is that if you iinstall in this form you wont be required to install application software's, printers, security updates, and Hardware drivers - as it all can be embedded in the Disc.

Apperantly he wasnt too pleased with the answer that I had provided and said how would I know that you have everything in order for the roll-out? what contingency plan have you prepared? HE then refrased the question - what do I need to do if I already have desktop with the right specification and I just want to install 300 windows vista on all machine in a week, how do I do this? I then told him I dont have much experience on large scale moves, as my previous jobs required me to only do small scale migrations like 5-10 desktops. He said ok fine. Going to a new question.

4 - What have you done in your degree? pretty standard question.
    [A] I first talked about the project/dissertation, like what kind of project it was; team based, very broad content, high level of research and alot of findings was gathered. I also talk about the modules I done like SQL, jave Basic, system analysis, and more.

5 - How do find london? I said LOL, you must be having a laugh.

That was it. I dont think I got the position as it seems like they wanted 2nd line support worker, and I wanted 1st line helpdesk role. What a funny experience.

7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Question 4 sounds like they want a roll out engineer, did they include this is the job specification?

You probably should have asked what server they had in place, Server 2003 has Remote installation services, but ive not used that much, however i would probably recommend to the company using drive images, as long as the hardware was standardised throughout (that would have been one to ask), if not RIS would have done the job.

Maybe the correct answer to install Vista would be "over my dead body"

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal