Interview tests?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by guildhall, Apr 15, 2013.

1. guildhall

guildhall Bit Poster

Hi All,

Just had a first interview for a service desk role. The interview went well until they asked me to take a test! I think I did poorly on the test questions like what is the minimum requirements for MS Office XP and how to change a IP address with CMD? I stood no chance as most IT guys would have had to look it up from their notes or google. I just feel bad that I wasn't able to get through the 2nd hurdle.

I accepts most jobs in IT requires you to take an test but it seems that you cannot be fully prepared as some questions they ask are out of date or too difficult. There are so many technologies in IT but does anyone know if there are online preps like a IT test site that I can use to prepare or brush up on?

Thank you!

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Changing an IP address with CMD is slightly harsh - I have done that a couple of times over the years but I could not tell you what the command is to do it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

As mentioned little harsh on the set ip command... Wonder if anyone knew that?

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  4. BigG

BigG Nibble Poster

They may have been deliberately harsh to see if you were over and above what they need.
    You never know until you get the rejection / acceptance letter
    Good Luck

G

Certifications: BSc, Prince2 Practitioner, MCSA Win7, MCSA 2008
    WIP: Vmware, ITILv3 on the back burner
  5. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

IP address is netsh. (I'm a command Guy)

But min required for office. My answer.
    "Now a days the only requirement is a computer running windows XP or higher ":)

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

A little more than just netsh, I assume they would expect the whole command if indeed they expected the candidate to know. Netsh set ip or something like that isn't it?

I forget now, not much of a cmd guy myself but people may see this thread and use it as reference, so good to give the whole command for the general community etc.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  7. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Sorry, Im always on my phone on this forum and typing commands with auto correct is a pain but here goes nothing

First I would run
    Netsh interface ipv4 show interface

This will show interfaces and names you need the interface name to set the IP address normally this is "Local area connection" so for the test I would probably just put that

The whole address is hard unless you know more info like static vs dhcp.....

To set the ipv4 address static
    Netsh interface ipv4 set address "Local Area Connection" static ipaddress subnet mask default gateway

I hope that helps and there is no typos :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
  8. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Set address, that's it! Lol. To be fair I'd forgotten a good chunk of that, last time I used netsh was to change the packet size trying to fix a wireless issue, can't remember the command for that now either but it didn't work so didn't stick! Lmfao.

Good to see the more in depth info etc though, will be useful as a reference if/when people search etc! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  9. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Impressive stuff!

I recall them explaining how to do this in the MTA Networking Fundamentals book I was recently using to study. I was so nervous they were going to ask a question like this in the actual exam lol

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  10. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

On exams they just normally want the netsh if they ask. Linux exams are different they suck. They're like you need to do this... here's the info.... type the whole command. Lol

11. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I got asked at an interview what I would do if I got a call from a Director to say that his screen was blank.

I said I would check that it was plugged in and turned on first.

They weren't impressed with that, wanted me to say that I would get another screen and swap them to see whether it was the screen or motherboard which was broken. Well excuse me, but must problems are simple ones and the plug getting kicked out of the wall is not only most likely, but quickest to check and fix.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  12. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

How bizarre. I would have given the same answer that you did. Why get another screen without checking the plug first...

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  13. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Interviews are always looking for a specific answer. If you don't provide them with what they want defend your answer. Let them know your confidence in yourself.