Interview questions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Joecoral, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Would it look unproffessional or reflect on me in a bad way if I wrote down some questions of my own to ask during a job interview, would I be better off learning them off by heart?

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: A+, N+, MCDST
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

It's a good idea.

It shows that you have been giving the job some thought and want to ask some questions. Just make sure they are not in relation to salary, benefits (pension, bonus, annual leave etc).

So whens your interview and whats it for?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personally I type out my questions that I'm going to ask & take it into the interview, but that's just me. Because I've gone thru quite a few interviews, as well as sit on the interview panel. I take the interview as a two way process, I may want to refer back to something later on, but again that's just me.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Learn them, can't be that many surely?

Also in some cases your cases your questions will be answered during the interview.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Tomorrow morning. HSBC call centre job. Obviously not IT related, but pays considerably more than my current job (recent graduate, still only working a few days a week part time :( ), which will in turn enable me to better prepare and afford to pay for my qualification exams

6. Kitkatninja

Good luck for tomorrow :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I would learn them rather than write them down. I also always try to learn a bit about the company itself from their website in case they spring some questions about why you wish to work for them etc...

Sometimes they will answer most of your questions during the interview. If they do, then i would just state at the end that you had a few questions about....... but they have been answered along the way.

Good luck :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  8. Joecoral

Joecoral Bit Poster

Well, I got the job!
    But..... they dont have a job to give me!
    Thats right! The man interviewing said they'd never been in this situation before, but due to the way the "economic climate" is, they arent having as high staff turnover as they usually do and people are holding on to their jobs, so whereas they would normally have a new intake every month, they arent taking on any at the moment.
    So, I get kept on the books, and as I passed the interview/roleplay, as soon as a job appears I automatically get it.
    However, if nothing comes up within 6 months, I get dropped from the books.
    What a confusing situation!

9. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Whilst i don't wish anyone lose their job, i hope someone moves on to something else and they give you a call. At least you know you interviewed well even if the result isn't exactly what you were hoping for at the moment.

Well done. Fingers crossed you get the call next month. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  10. Kitkatninja

Congrats, sort of...

At least if a vancany opens up, you're in there :)

-Ken