Interview questions - TCP/IP

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Smorg, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi all
    I have been applying for entry level vacancies (1st line etc) for a few weeks now and I have an interview lined up for tomorrow.
    I have been told to expect technical questions regarding TCP/IP and networking. Also, examples of common questions and what I would suggest as a fix.
    Has anyone got any idea as to what questions may be asked and what the most common questions would be so I can think about a fix? This will be my 1st support role and I really want the job!
    Any help appreciated!
    Thanks

WIP: A+
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Very difficult to say but if your studying the A+ and it's entry level job then things they ask are likely to be covered in the A+ study material.

I would of thought they would ask you questions on joining a PC to the domain, setting up a network printers. Troubleshooting a PC that can't get network connectivity. How to find an IP address etc. As long as you know your stuff you should be fine...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some command line troubleshooting might help, such as ping and ipconfig. Also you should know what a 169 IP address means.

This should help you troubleshoot connectivity problems before escalating it (if needed) to second line.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

thanks for your help.
    So stuff like ipconfig, tracert, arp, route etc would help do you think?
    It's a broadband company that supplies to businesses, new developments etc and they're looking for support/helpdesk people. Never worked in that area before so I don't really know what kind of support would be needed.
    I have basic network knowledge and my CV states this so hopefully they won't be expecting too much!

5. Sparky

Yup, you may need to get someone to test connectivity. This can be pinging the default gateway or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Not to point out the obvious but concentrate on network issue questions and fault finding a PC that won't connect to the internet and the stages you would go though to troubleshhot the problem. Start with the simplest things like are the cables plugged in, is the modem switched on, can they get an IP address (not a 169 address) etc. These are what I would probably expect them to ask as they would want to know if you have the sense and knowledge to take a problem and successfully know how to resolve it through the correct steps.

As Sparky has said make sure you know all the basic command line tools like ping and tracert and what they do and this will more than likely ask about them and again as Sparky says make sure you know what a 169 address (APIPA) is and they will probably ask you what a PC with a 169 address means.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

When you say 'can they get an IP address' - what exactly do you mean?

8. Sparky

No IP address basically means there is a connectivity problems somewhere or there is an issue with the DHCP server or whatever network device is configured for DHCP.

9. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Look into the following tools and how to use them

IPCONFIG (with all its switches) ie /renew /release /flushdns /registerdns
    PING
    TRACERT
    PATHPING

you can also checkout nslookup, but thats more DNS than basic tcp/ip

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  10. vegetablevn

vegetablevn Banned

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting.Tks and best regards

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The may ask you questions about how data is transmitted and how it knows where to go. i.e MAC addresses frames etc which is all network+ material but if your just onto the A+ then they might not.

You might be asked to id a mac address or to know what an IPv4 address is.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

... given that his interview was nearly three months ago ...

:rolleyes:

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol never noticed then again they might still be asking him questions.:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup, tied to a chair.